[Rubrics] Rubric Export

It would be great if canvas would allow a rubric to be exported to a word doc, csv format or pdf so that rubrics can be used in class instruction or provided to students with assignment description and syllabi. Currently, a rubric can be printed but not downloaded so it cannot be shared digitally without recreating the document, which, is a waste of time.

Added to Theme

69 Comments
hvaughn
Community Contributor

Yes, the ability to export a rubric would be helpful. I am dealing with this right now.  Smiley Happy   

bogardde
Community Participant

It's not a perfect solution, but I use the workaround of screenshotting the rubric and then adding it as an image to assignment instructions and document templates.

yallam
Community Novice

There was a similar posting from 2015 that garnered around 200 upvotes, but only made to the development team's "radar" -- I am disappointed that manually entered data now has to be entered more than once or copy-pasted piecemeal from online.  Any data entered into an electronic format should be downloadable and accessible to prevent such a situation requiring multiple manual entries of the same data by a human.  This seems to be a basic human factors expectation to me, but maybe I'm the crazy one.

adam_engel
Community Participant

It would also be excellent if rubrics were included in the beta feature that lets you download a Canvas course as an ePub.

timothy_maw
Community Champion

This would be incredibly nice! It would really be beneficial for us to be able to export rubrics as an easy way to share them. I am especially think of this as we are in an accreditation year and we could use them as evidence while we may need to take screenshots for now. I am hoping this idea can gain more traction.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

You make a good point,  @yallam ‌, about data/content entered once into Canvas having to be rekeyed again and again. Instead of being Interoperability 101, it's still a dream off in the distance. You're not crazy.

yallam
Community Novice

Yes! Accreditation was a driving reason for my posting on this topic!

timothy_maw
Community Champion

There is so much I wish we could share from Canvas so others can more easily see what we have built there. We know we not have anyone from our accrediting body looking at Canvas meaning if we find any evidence in there we can't export we will have to show screen shots as evidence. Rubrics seem like something that you would want to make more accessible to others as well.

jmsimpson1
Community Novice

I would also like to see the ability to export rubric results as part of our accreditation data collection.

christopher_bau
Community Novice

I haven't scanned all the reasons for wanting this export.  My purpose is research.  I want to have the student writing, the reviewer comments, and a reviewer rubric score (raw not some total) that can be dumped into a .csv file like I can do from Qualtrics.   Canvas information is all funneled into creating an assignment score, but it is not very helpful for supporting deeper inquiry into study learning.   In that way, Canvas is not supportive of faculty engaged in SoTL or research into student learning.  If I had a class of 10, I could click through and get all the data.  I have a class of 200.