[SIS] Differentiated Assignments Being a Part of Grade Passback

TLDR; 
When using grade passback between Canvas and an SIS, differentiated assignments don't passback at all. This is not in the best interest of teachers and students and needs to work.

Full Description

We have started using SIStemic for passback to our SIS and the process is an improvement for teachers putting the timing in their hands. The glaring shortcoming is that if "Everyone" or "Everyone else" isn't a part of the Assigned To for the assignment, it's not a part of the passback. Differentiation is important in education which makes passing differentiated assignments important for an LMS. 

• Mastery Path assignments automatically fall into this category and don't pass.
  • Cross-listed courses can fall into this category if giving each a different due date.
  • Assigning something to a few students falls into this category with the only work-around being excusing everyone else in the course (but then the other students will see the assignment which is confusing).

Until this works, it dissuades teachers from differentiation due to the path of least resistance being to not differentiate at all. It takes extra work to set up a course with effective differentiated assignments. Let's not have additional hurdles for teachers to use those best practices.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

SHEBENE
Community Champion

I believe this affects most passback processes (Kimono leverages OneRoster and gets the assignment/grade info from Canvas just like Instructure's SIStemic does for example).

ajs554
Community Explorer

Agreed! I wanted to change all of my gradings to Mastery Paths within my CTE Programs of Study and was unable to because of the passback SIS my district is using. So many educational initiatives that have been promoted nationally are available within Canvas for differentiation but then made obsolete due to the passback requirements. Any help overcoming this issue would be excellent for promoting best practices and individualized education.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme