[SpeedGrader] Add a Way to Group Comments in the Comment Library

The comment library feature is being used by faculty at my institution; however, as the number of comments continue to increase in the library, managing them becomes more difficult with no way of grouping or categorizing them by assignment (for example). We're suggesting that Canvas update the feature to include a tool that allows the instructor to organize the comments (similar to Studio and Collections). Thank you.

Added to Theme

26 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

heatherjones
Community Explorer

I think this would be an incredible improvement. I love the comment library, but it definitely needs the additional functionality of organization!

papaya5
Community Member

I think this is a great suggestion!  I came to this forum with the same idea.  Right now, I use an outside source to categorize my comments, but it is cumbersome to toggle back and forth.  While I am excited that Canvas now has a comment library, not being able to categorize the comments makes it difficult to use.  Thanks for starting this conversation.

fandrey
Community Member

Agree with this need! Or, if the Comment Library only displayed the comments I've used for that particular assignment in the past, that would solve for this challenge, too.

stevec
Community Contributor

Oh heck yes!!! I'm using it for a single class and I will have dozens of comments by the end of the term. I can't imagine how hard this must be for those using shared comment libraries!!

Community Member

Allow instructors the ability to rearrange the order of the comment library.  Currently, the comments are organized by the order in which they were submitted and are not necessarily logical. This would make it more user-friendly.  

TomAffholter
Community Member

I like the comment library when grading.  But the comments should link to the assignment and not the course.  If I have 12 assignments all comments are mixed.

TomAffholter
Community Member

I would like to see library comments in grading be linked to that assignment rather than all assignments.

ReneeDenham
Community Member

Or, if instead of mixing the comments together if they're able to be saved to a set of feedback comments - then you could have some commonly reusable ones that are reused across a range of assessment pieces / courses, and then you could have a set for this assessment piece so you can reuse those on this specific assessment, but aren't relevant more broadly. 

eg:

Sets:

- This Assignment

- Written Communication

- Academic Integrity

etc

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Agreed. Some kind of sorting / file structure would make this feature even better. I think I recall that this was something that was discussed in the feature Q&A page (or equivalent) when the feature was first released, and I thought it was on the Instructure Product Managers radar. It would be good to hear if there is any progress on this.