[SpeedGrader] Share Speedgrader Comment Library Across Graders

The new Speedgrader Assignment Comment Library feature is great but it would be even more helpful if multiple graders could make use of a comments library or if comments libraries could be shared.

One of the most useful things about a Speedgrader comment library is to standardize grading across courses with multiple instructors or TAs. By making comments shareable, instructors can ensure that their TAs have access to effective written feedback and that their students will receive consistent assignment feedback, no matter who the grader is. This is especially useful in situations where TAs are very new or inexperienced.

Assignment libraries are also good ways to guide TAs in effective grading practices. Ideally, once TAs have seen effective feedback from instructors, they can begin to add to the shared course comments library themselves. 

16 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

The option to share comment libraries gets my vote, especially if there are institutions that prefer consistency for compliance purposes. Perhaps it will need options like don't share, edit, view only etc. 

akinsey
Community Contributor

Definitely upvoting this - it would be helpful rather than having to share spreadsheets or other forms of comment sharing.

vancej
Community Participant

Is there a way to vote on this?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@vancej

Members can rate Idea Conversations, as detailed in How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community?; our product managers read all of the comments under every idea and benefit from the examples our members provide to support the idea's problem statement.

gnordberg
Community Contributor

Yes, please! A shared comment library would be wonderful!

Hildi_Pardo
Community Champion

I agree with this Idea, and also agree with @kristen_ryall, that there be options to Share, Edit, or View.  This would meet the needs of different situations.  

Also, I'm finding that my comment library potentially could get long very quickly. I wonder if there would be a way to categorize or filter by course, or even Assignment.  And furthermore, if only the comments for a specific course or assignment could be shared with a collaborating teacher.

CarollMitchell
Community Member

Definitely gets our Institutions vote. I would recommend sharing with others to view or copy, but not to edit. Also, as noted above, please add functionality so one can categorize and filter.

Renee_Denham
Community Member

This would be HUGELY valuable. either having a "Send To" option to share a comment library with select individual, like how Pages etc can be shared, or having an option in SpeedGrader when you're in the Manage Comment Library screen to enable share comment library with other instructors in the course.

JamillahMartin
Community Member

It is great that comment libraries are private to the instructor who created the but I think the option  to be able to export and share their comment library would be helpful for grading consistency.