[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
hunterb
Community Member

when I see obvious features like this that haven't been incorporated since the discussion started in 2015, I do wonder what the point of my post is.

cdona
Community Explorer

Do these messages just go into the ether?  Or will someone from Canvas eventually respond after 6 years?

thomas_walker1
Community Explorer

I would also like to see this as we've been running into issues during our COVID closure that requires us to accept assignments in alternative ways to work around student technology issues, but I am still uncomfortable assigning a grade for something that I cannot connect the documentation to.

twalther
Community Participant

I have the same problem that others have mentioned with students who are not proficient with the technology or using the app not being able to "figure out" how to submit something. I keep teaching them how to submit, but sometimes I would rather just be able to submit the document they emailed to me for them.

Choachy
Community Explorer

I fully support this feature request. I thought this was something in development, but I guess not? It happens enough that a student emails a paper, can't submit it for some reason (or missed the deadline), and the teacher wants to submit it for them. And it would be so much easier to submit, rather than open up availability, or just keep up with it in email. 

Please add this.

adrowley
Community Novice

I agree with this idea. As a special education teacher, some of my students turn work into me that needs to get uploaded to another teacher. It would be great to be able to get work turned in, not only in my class but others as well! 

Thanks for helping our students with allowing this practice! 

rkonda
Community Member

I do feel it is a good feature to consider. Currently, I am using grade scope for marking summative as it allows uploading on behalf of students. If canvas implements this feature, it really helps in using one platform for all the purposes.

0zlw
Community Member

It is ridiculous that something as important has this has not been implemented 6 years later.

BryanTayman
Community Novice

Had a few more issues where I submitted a grade on behalf of a student who emailed it to me, only to have them follow up upset it is still on their To Do list as not being submitted.    This is very frustrating to students and parents who want to make sure they have everything done.  We want to encourage this, not train them to ignore things "not done".    As a workaround, I tell them to just submit a blank assignment and I will then give them full credit.

svonderbruegge
Community Explorer

Canvas,

If you read the comments on this thread there are a lot of frustrated folks that are looking for this functionality. 

Would you be so kind as to explain the logic behind not giving teachers the ability to submit assignments on behalf of students. Sometimes, all people need is a good reason. If there is one, please share.

Thank you.