[Assignments] Submit an assignment on behalf of a student

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

As an instructor, I'd like the option to submit assignments on behalf of my students. This feature should enable me to pick a file from my computer and upload it as a submission for a given student. I should then be able to assess the submission just as if the student had submitted it themselves. A note should appear somewhere that indicates I submitted the assignment on behalf of my student. This would help me in cases where, for instance, my students submit an assignment on paper or the submission is a performance (a speech or presentation) that I capture on video.

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Bill Hanna
Special thanks for contributions by: Paul Gibbons, Sydney Cheek-O'Donnell, Kona Jones, Stefanie Sanders

Added to Theme

369 Comments
RaeJobst-GU
Community Participant

A useful thread and thanks to @jsailor for the updates.

A few people have mentioned they can't find the vote function - it is a little hidden - you have to click on the stars at the top of the idea to vote (see more via Find out how ideas work).

The other thing that might help people know that this is in the pipeline is if the status of the idea is changed to "In development" or "On Beta".

rojask
Community Explorer

An instructor reached out to me wanting to use Canvas as a repository for honors program applications and wanted evaluators to be able to submit letters of recommendation on behalf of students. Due to Canvas' lacking this feature, I had to encourage the instructor to use other software. I hope this idea can be implemented soon as there are a lot of upvotes for it.

randolph_handel
Community Member

After all these years, can I assume that what could be an easy fix, since an administrator can already do this, is not being implemented for some other reason than available resources?

MollyMcFarland
Community Member

This feature seems like a no-brainer and if administrators can already do it, it seems simple to make it an option for instructors.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
Comments from Instructure

Continue to follow this thread for updates!

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, All! Just wanted to share another update to let you know that this work is now in development. As we look toward releasing this functionality, we will update here with timelines to expect so that you'll know to watch our release notes.

BethCrook
Community Contributor

Thank you!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2023-03-18) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2023-03-18)