Unbundle View Prior Enrollments from Add Students Permissions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

The "Add/Remove Students for the Course" permission currently controls access to the "View Prior Enrollments" page.

176689_2016-03-23_15-37-45.png2016-03-23_15-37-45.png

We had to set up JS override to hide the +people button for instructors, which is not very effective and definitely not secure.

Instructors have to have the permission to add students in order to view prior enrollments.  We had to give the permission to add/delete to faculty so that they could view this data for federal financial aid reporting of last date of attendance.  The problem with removing the +people using the permissions to control Add/remove students for the course is that then the faculty don't have access to View Prior Enrollments, which takes that data out of the hands of the faculty and puts the burden for financial aid research of LDA on our office...I just tested it on test and verified that this is still happening.  We need this data to be in the hands of the faculty, easily accessible on demand.

We would like a secure way for the prior enrollment activity data to be viewable to faculty just like the currently enrolled student data, without them having the ability to add/delete students.

We need some faculty to be able to add and/or remove students in some subaccounts.  Having the flexibility to do this would alleviate some of the work that our office has to do because these permissions are bundled and ensure that this security is actually secure, since the javascript hack is not a secure fix.

11 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for submitting this feature idea!  Learn more about the feature idea process and how to champion your idea.

Your feature idea will be open for vote from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016! Smiley Wink

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. April 6, 2016 - Wed. July 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

millerjm
Community Champion

I was testing some things and noticed that when I changed the permission to take away the ability for teachers to add students, now they have access to the View Prior Enrollments button.  Did this somehow get applied to production?  If so that is AWESOME!!! 

Please let me know if this can be confirmed.  Smiley Happy

kona
Community Champion

I just tested this and our faculty do not have the ability to add students, but they now have the ability to access/use the "View Prior Enrollments" button. I do not believe that this was available to them in the past (pretty sure I had checked on this a couple of different times).

Hope this helps!

millerjm
Community Champion

I know that they didn't have access to that before.  We implemented less than a year ago so we tested permissions pretty thoroughly and I tested again when I posted this because I was working on our JS file...Glad to see you could confirm that I wasn't crazy!  I don't see it listed in any release notes but perhaps it has to do with some of the inactive student changes?

millerjm
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney ​:  I think this was completed inadvertently in a recent update.  I can't find it anywhere in any release notes, but it definitely was changed recently.  I'm so happy that this functionality was changed!  Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Joni.

I heard back from the the engineer.  The change that was made was not to unbundle the permissions, but instead only Instructors or TAs with permission to view the list of students in a course are able to view prior enrollments.  Do you think that still meets the needs of this request, or do you think the focus should still be on unbundling the two permissions?

millerjm
Community Champion

This meets the needs of the request exactly.  Thank you so much for following up on it for us, and please thank the product team and the engineer for making the change!!!  Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Excellent!  Thank you for letting us know!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New