View SIS User ID in Gradebook

This idea has been developed and is now part of Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18)

Each of our students is assigned a unique User ID, which is critically important for verifying the identity of students who submit assignments when there are multiple users with the same names, as well as for when students submit assignments under a "nickname" or "preferred name" that differs from what is on record with Canvas. I'm surprised to find there is no simple way to view thesee. Currently an instructor must export the gradebook to see these ID numbers.

The SIS Login ID is already shown in the gradebook; why not also show the SIS User ID? Or at least allow instructors to toggle between the two.

12 Comments
biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for your submission,  @bdombeck ​. This idea will be open for voting in the next voting cycle (Oct. 7th)

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for voting. Smiley Happy

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I am not understanding why you don't just used the SIS ID as the login ID? That is how our system is set up.

bdombeck
Community Novice

@kmeeusen ​ I don't think you are understanding the problem in the first place. I don't need to help students log on, which is what your comment leads me to think my idea is about. Our students have a name, an email address (SIS Login ID), and a 9-digit student student identification number (SIS User ID). Our university frequently requests students write their name and student ID code when submitting assignments in person. Currently when you view the gradebook it shows you the student name and their login ID. That is not helpful if (1) Students submit a "preferred name" which does not match what they have one Canvas or (2) There are multiple students with the same name. The unique number ensures I can match submissions to the correct student without error, yet this number is hidden in Canvas; you have to export the entire gradebook to view the student IDs.

I hope that clarifies things.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

152565_pastedImage_9.png

Thank You for taking the time and energy to submit and discuss your idea. Your feedback helps our product teams prioritize feature development so we can build a product you will love. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. All feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and may influence product direction.

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to stay invested in Feature Ideas process of making Canvas better!

bsr
Community Contributor

As usual, I stumbled across this thread after the voting period had ended, while looking for a way to do something that I thought should be simple. I realize it's a dead thread, but I'd just like to voice my support for adding a column or giving the toggle option for student ID numbers. For me, it's usually a matter of needing to look up their ID number for a form, e.g. honors credit, late withdrawal, disability accommodations, etc. ... everything requires a form, and every form requires that number. None of the forms give a rat's furry rear end about the login ID. They all want the number. And as the OP highlights here, the number exists in the Canvas system, but we can't see it unless we actually export the gradebook.

RobDitto
Community Champion

This idea has resurfaced for voting in 2017:

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18) 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
This idea has been developed and is now part of Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-01-18)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

@bdombeck  Thank You for sharing this idea, as well as  @bsr  Thank You  @RobDitto  Thank You for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature that is now a part of Canvas!