cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amanda_taintor
Community Contributor

Cengage Test Bank

Jump to solution

I have an instructor who was able to download the zip file for the "canvas test bank" from Cengage. When we upload this file what upload option do we choose?

Thanks!!

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@amandataintor ​, you upload each chapter if each chapter is a zip file. Correct. If the test bank was downloaded in Canvas format, you import the zip files as 'QTI .zip'.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
crafte
Community Champion

Hi  @amandataintor ​, the content type format depends on the format of the test bank the instructor downloaded. Depending on the book the publisher will be offering various formats (Blackboard, ANGEL, QTI, WebCT etc.). You would select the applicable format as the content type. Some test banks will have to be unzipped first because the test bank zip file contains a number of individual chapter zip files. After unzipping the main file, the instructor can import each chapter zip file.

If the test bank is only available in Word format, the instructor could use Respondus (https://www.respondus.com/) to import the Word documents which can be converted into Canvas tests. If you are not able to use Respondus, the instructor would need to copy/paste each question plus answer choices into Canvas quizzes.

amanda_taintor
Community Contributor

Thanks  @crafte ​!  The test bank actually states "for Canvas upload" but when we import content would the content type be "canvas course export package" after unzipping the main file or do we simply choose "zipped file". Thanks for extra support!!

Hi  @amandataintor ​, test banks formatted for Canvas are usually imported as 'QTI .zip' file. The file should not be unzipped except if the zip file you downloaded contains a number of individual chapter zip files.

amanda_taintor
Community Contributor

Perfect!!

@crafte ​ It does contain multiple chapter files.... so just to make sure this sleep deprived brain understand correctly we would upload each individual chapter file using the QTI zip file option?

Thanks!!

@amandataintor ​, you upload each chapter if each chapter is a zip file. Correct. If the test bank was downloaded in Canvas format, you import the zip files as 'QTI .zip'.

mjarvi17

The process above did not work for me because the Cengage test bank file was a zipped folder containing all files for the textbook, and when I tried to import the content as QTI .zip files, Canvas would assume I wanted the top-level zipped folder.  I could not get into the sub-folders.

Solution:

1. Open the zipped folder and copy/paste the chapter-level sub-folders into a temporary working folder (on your desktop, for example).
  2. In the working folder, click on the first chapter sub-folder and zip it.  (In Windows Explorer, the Zip option is on the Share tab.)  Repeat for each chapter.
  3. Import the newly-zipped sub-folder into Canvas as a QTI .zip file.  (No need to select a Question Bank.  I found that Canvas just overrides your selection anyway.)  Repeat for each chapter.
  4. Go to the Question Banks page on Canvas.  (
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@amandataintor ,

We are giving the Instructional Designers area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie