cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amanda_taintor
Community Contributor

Micrograde/Canvas comparison

Many of our faculty have utilized a program called Micrograde in the past, apparently this program has closed up shop.  My faculty are asking how the Canvas gradebook compare with the features of micrograde.  I have never used this product so I don't have any good answers except to tout how wonderful Canvas is.  Has anyone found or created a comparison between these to programs which I can pass along to faculty?

Thanks! Amanda Taintor

Tags (1)
3 Replies
Community Participant

Yes I'm in the same situation. I'm currently helping a language teacher transitioning from micrograde to the Canvas gradebook. I haven't been able to play with micrograde but from my interactions with the teacher I'm helping with, there seems to be important differences between the two:

• micrograde was a desktop application totally devoted to grading: as a result it has many rich features that the Canvas gradebook doesn't have such as the ability to generate summary grade reports (on the instructor side) that can be shared with students through PDFs etc
  • Canvas gradebook is designed with the vision that the student can view his/her grades and generate reports but there appears to be limited functionality from the instructor's side to generate summary reports (since it is assumed that the instructor will share the grades with the student).
  • The teacher I'm working with is assigning grades every day during the semester and as a result doesn't want students to see their grades (too much info otherwise). She releases grades only at mid-term and at the end. Micrograde worked well for her because students didn't have access to the software. Only she could manage the grades and generate reports. We're having a hard time figuring out how to create a similar setup in Canvas. She'd like to reveal only the summaries at mid-term, not all the individual grades that are entered every day. It doesn't seem possible to have both daily assignments muted and summary grades revealed.

I'd be happy to hear other people's experience transitioning from micrograde to Canvas.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@amandataintor ,

We are giving the Instructional Designers area a little bit of love and just want to check in with you.  This will also bring this question new attention. 

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

w0001328
Community Participant

dI am using Canvas and really miss Micrograde. It enabled me to create student summaries for printed output and rosters that contained private emails and phone numbers for printed output. I could print my gradebook and see and over view of the grades and change them when reviewing their work.