Transfer from old Question Banks to new ITEM banks?!?

Jump to solution
julund
Community Novice

I am attempting to import questions from a Question Bank in a previous course in to an ITEM BANK in a new course. So, basically I want to update all my quizzes from the old Quizzes to the new Quizzes.Next.

What I've come up with is to create a new quiz that pulls all of the questions from the question bank (say 20 questions), and export and/or import that quiz as a QTI file to the new course.

I have done so, and while I can see the quiz in the new course, it is still under the old Quiz style and when I click on the question bank (under the questions tab) it takes me to the original question bank in the old course, not a new question bank (or preferably ITEM BANK) in the new course.

Does anyone have any advise on the best way to transfer the actual questions from old courses to new courses and then specifically from old Question Banks to new ITEM BANKS.

I have several hundred questions that need to be transitioned so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

2 Solutions
ericwerth
Community Explorer

Hi julund.   @kenneth_rogers  posted some good information.  I certainly don't consider myself an expert in Quizzes.Next, but have been playing around with it for a while and did a bit of testing in my sandbox.  

This is what I would suggest you try to see how it works.  

1- Add all your existing questions from a bank to a quiz in Quizzes Classic, like you did.

2- From the Settings tab, export the quiz as a QTI file.

3- Go in to Quizzes.Next and in the upper right-hand corner click on the three dots  and "Manage Item Banks".

285288_2018-08-11_0-33-49.jpg

4- Create a bank named as you like.

5- Click in to the empty bank.

6- Click on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner and "Import Content"

285289_2018-08-11_0-37-42.jpg

7- Select the QTI file you exported previously.

8- Hopefully it worked!

9- Repeat for your other question banks from Quizzes Classic

It is basically what the document linked above describes but should create an item bank instead of importing the questions into a Quizzes.Next assessment.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you run into issues!

View solution in original post

lph
Community Champion

OK! ericwerth‌ and anyone else who catches this post. I figured it out moments after posting my question. It was quite literally silly.

To create a classic quiz with all of the questions AND get all of the questions into an export then you must use FIND QUESTIONS, find the question bank, and select all. Do NOT try to use new question group. 

Phew. It works. 

This is a long path to get the imports, but at least it is working. 

View solution in original post