I'm Glad I Waited

gouldt
Community Contributor

I am not normally an end of the line type person when getting on the bus, usually, I am towards the front 10% of the line. I feel like I have almost missed the Mobile App bus. I don't have an excuse for why it has taken so long for mobile apps to grab my attention, but now that it has, I'm glad I waited.

Recently I've been researching all of the resources available about Canvas' mobile apps. Our college adopted Canvas in early 2015. I have been aware of the apps since the beginning. At the time we adopted Canvas, the apps did not seem to work as well as the website. I've recently discovered, now that some time has passed, Canvas has made quite a few improvements in their apps.

I know that an increasingly larger percentage of students at our college use their mobile devices to access their courses. I don't have any idea how many of those might be using the app, but I feel like it would be a larger number if we were promoting the use of the app to our students and instructors.

After reviewing all of the information in the @Canvas Mobile App Group (#CMAG) I have discovered that a) the Canvas Student App has many features that allow students to interact easier than when they are using a browser to access their course, and b) I have not been providing information and promoting the use of the Canvas Student App as I should be.

So my next steps, now that I have been enlightened, is to begin introducing and promoting the use of the App to our students and instructors. I am excited to begin this marketing of the App. Anything that makes navigating the course and learning easier for students is a priority for our college. I know that there is a lot to learn, but I am thankful for all of the authors that have contributed the information in this community.