Additive grading

Jump to solution
MisterSeñor
Community Member

I am searching for a way to do additive grading in Canvas in order to differentiate. As a World Languages teacher, I'd like to base grades on something like a videogame skill tree. As an example, if students master basic skills for a Spanish class and can show proficiency on these basic skills, they can earn between a 60-70 for the unit/quarter. If they master those skills, plus show proficiency or mastery with receptive language (reading/listening), a higher skill, they can earn a grade 70-80. If they grow beyond those skills and show and demonstrate proficiency/mastery on productive skills (speaking, writing), a higher skill, they can earn up to 90-100. The idea is that students add to their grade by moving up the skill chain, rather than lose points when they don't complete all the tasks or don't score perfectly on some task/assessment. Is there a way to just add points to a grade without having it out of a certain point value?

Thank you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
james_whalley
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @MisterSeñor,

I love this idea! I imagine this would likely involve a combination of the use of Outcomes and Mastery Paths. Outcomes allow you to measure mastery of specific learning objectives. Mastery Paths allow the release of assignments based on achievement levels on other assignments. You may also want to have multiple attempts and feedback available on assignments so that students can iterate through them and use it attempt as a learning experience.

If you do not set up weighted grading and have the Total in the Gradebook display as points, you should be able to set this all up as an additive experience.

Best,

James

View solution in original post