cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jnuckles
Community Contributor

Are any schools using ReadSpeaker successfully

Are any schools currently using ReadSpeaker successfully?

We did a pilot of the text-to-speech product more than a year ago and ran into speed and compatibility problems using it with Canvas. At the time, it seemed that we were the only school trying to use it with Canvas. The product is going to again be piloted here and I'm wondering if anyone can offer their own experience with ReadSpeaker and Canvas as it stands today.

Tags (2)
17 Replies
scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Jeff,

I know that Certified Partner - ReadSpeaker​ is a certified partner but I don't have any direct experience with their product.  Please consider coming back and telling us how the pilot goes.

Thanks,

Scott

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

jnuckles

I do not have first hand experience with this tool, but I know someone who has.  I'm reaching out to her to see if she can help answer some of your questions.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

jnuckles, I wanted to let you know that since this isn't a question that has a correct answer per se I'm going to change its status to a discussion so that it can remain open for continued participation. I've also added some tags to the body of your question to make it more prominent in search results.

fosterl
Community Contributor

We (Oregon State University) are hopefully going to give ReadSpeaker a try starting next week. Unfortunately, the only guide I can find is How do I upload custom JavaScript and CSS files to an account or sub-account? , which specifically says instructions are no longer available for the legacy UI. We are not switching to the new UI until June. I'll reach out to our CSM to see how we can do this. If anyone is interested, I can report back here as we make progress.

jnuckles
Community Contributor

We have been using ReadSpeaker with the old UI since January without any issues. Just do the CSS and JS the same way you would normally on the settings page for the old UI.

rake_9
Community Champion

Lindy - any feedback on how ReadSpeaker is working in Canvas for your audience?

jnuckles
Community Contributor

As a note here, the one complaint that we have had is that it can not read documents like word files and pdfs that are being displayed through Crocodoc.

fosterl
Community Contributor

Sorry for the delay responding. ReadSpeaker requires installation both as an LTI tool, and using custom JS. To make my life easier, I just turned on the new UI on our Test instance since we wanted to try it out first. Then, it's pretty easy to install. One good thing: the app reads the alt-text when you highlight something that has it. So, for example a title under a graphic reads the alt-text description. I'm not the one evaluating whether or not this tool has sufficient value over, say, students just using JAWS on their own computer, so I can't help with that, since the deciders haven't decided yet either! Our Disability/Access Services folks will make that call.

I'm a little skeptical about having the floating speaker icon floating on the page for EVERYBODY (which it does) when only a fraction of the students need it, so the TextAid LTI might be better in that respect; but the JS (floating icon) tool is SO easy to use (the icon also pops up when you highlight text, right there where you need it) that I can see it's appeal.

Our experience is the same as Jeff's below: no help with pdfs, ReadSpeaker only works on text displayed on the Canvas page.

stephensda
Community Participant

Whoah. I'd have to wonder what the point is then. Having this only work for native Canvas Pages & Tools seems limiting from my my perspective. We are anticipating running a 3 month pilot at Butte College. Has anyone had any recent experience (in the last 3 months) with ReadSpeaker?