Assignment due dates switching from PM to AM

Jump to solution
bhenderson23
Community Member

Hi all, 

I am an Educational Technology Coordinator asking a question on behalf of a few instructors that have noticed that on some of their assignments, the due date switches automatically from PM to AM. 

I have read this post, but we are not in the UK, so that doesn't seem like it would be causing issues on our end. 

According to the instructor, the assignments were copied from a past course, and due dates were changed after the assignments were imported to be correct for the current term prior to the start of our summer term. These dates were not changed by the instructor since the initial set-up. Upon demoing the assignment in student view, the due date of the assignment changes from PM to AM. This has reportedly happened twice to one instructor in my area. I have heard of a few other instructors at different campuses, as well, but I have not seen any other mentions of it here. 

I personally, have not been able to see this happen as I do not have any live classes and have only gotten reports after the fact. Also, by the time it has been reported, the instructor had already changed the time back to how it should have been.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
greydon
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @bhenderson23 

Thank you for contacting the Canvas Community. We're sorry to hear you've been experiencing issues with times switching from PM to AM. Thank you for explaining everything in depth. It is certainly abnormal behavior and more strange that multiple teachers are experiencing this. What do the times change from and then to? There can be multiple factors with  time zones on a user's computer or the time zone within a course specifically. 

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-set-a-time-zone-for-a-course/ta-p/1295

I understand the course was brought over, have the teachers checked the course timezone setting? Also, is it a 12 hour difference? So 2pm to 2am? Or closer like the 11:59pm default assignment time to 12:00am? That could also play a role. If none of these things change the issues they're experiencing  they may want to speak with Canvas Support directly to find the source of the issue. 

Because of the complexity of the issue, and the concerns for privacy, it would be best if you contacted Canvas Support directly to pinpoint the source of the issue and provide a resolution:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas-Basics-Guide/How-do-I-contact-Canvas-Support/ta-p/389767 

View solution in original post

0 Likes