[Assignments] Add Due Dates in Batches Please

Jump to solution
jonesd4
Community Member

I came here to suggest a feature (batch edit add ability to set specific dates for all selected tasks at once, not just shift or remove them), and as per the system requests I had a look at similar requests already made. I found my exact idea, articulated exactly as I would've said it (maybe better), dated back to 2020 (posted below). Once on this post, it was a deadend: I couldn't comment, couldn't upvote it. I could only look at the comments over the years asking why this wasn't done, culminating in a canvas mod noting the idea before locking the thread.  

What's going on with this? Is this being worked on? Here we are 4 years later, and I'm asking for the same thing. It's the end of the semester and I want to be able to lock all tasks before the final in a quick efficient manner. It seems like such an easy piece of programming to implement, what's taking so long? Canvas, after nearly half a decade, are you actually listening?  

[Assignments] Assignment Batch Edit: Add Due Dates in Batches

Status: Added to Theme Submitted by -------- on ‎08-10-2020 02:12 PM

In Assignments, once "edit assignment dates" is selected, more than one assignment can be selected and "Batch Edit" can be used. However, Batch Edit can only be used to 1) remove or 2) shift dates. Why can't it be used to add assignment dates? As it functions now, assignments with the same due date must be individually selected in order to apply a due date, and this process must be done for each one. Batch Edit really needs to include adding due dates, and not just removing or shifting.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jonesd4 ...

The proper way to suggest new ideas is to post them to the Ideas and Themes space here in the Canvas Community.  Documentation on how to post your ideas can be found under the heading "Ideas and Themes" on this page: Instructure Community Guide - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

I found the original idea posting...which is located here: [Assignments] Assignment Batch Edit: Add Due Dates... - Instructure Community - 388498 (canvaslms.co....  As you can see, the current status of this idea is "Added to Theme".  You can read more about the different stages by looking at: How do Ideas and Themes work in the Instructure Co... - Instructure Community - 2980 (canvaslms.com).

As far as voting on and commenting on Ideas and Themes, there is some information on that in the document "How do Ideas and Themes work..." which I linked above.  Also, you might want to look at: How do I participate with themes? - Instructure Community - 552455 (canvaslms.com).

I know this really doesn't address your main concern, but I wanted to provide you with these links so that you know the process.  I hope this will help.

View solution in original post