Did you mean: 
davidpintado727

Assignments weight

Jump to solution
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @davidpintado727  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, and thanks for posting your question here.  The most direct answer to your question is by the points on each assignment.  But I realize that's not terribly helpful for what I think you're really trying to ask.  In Canvas, you can weight grades by:

The points on the assignments still matter, but now (once they are weighted) only within the assignment group they are in.

There is a lot more information, generally, in the Assignments area in the online Instructor's Guide.  But I think the links above will get you started.

I hope this helps, David!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @davidpintado727  Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community, and thanks for posting your question here.  The most direct answer to your question is by the points on each assignment.  But I realize that's not terribly helpful for what I think you're really trying to ask.  In Canvas, you can weight grades by:

The points on the assignments still matter, but now (once they are weighted) only within the assignment group they are in.

There is a lot more information, generally, in the Assignments area in the online Instructor's Guide.  But I think the links above will get you started.

I hope this helps, David!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@davidpintado727 , Welcome! In addition to the information Ken provided, I'd like to add that there is a feature request that's on product radar for this type of functionality - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7130-assignment-weighting-in-assignment-groups . My recommendation is to take a look at this idea and consider voting and commenting on it and why it would be useful for you to have.

I just followed your link for "assignment weighting in assignment groups" and voted "up" on the feature request. This is a critical feature, in my opinion. I urge others to get out and vote on this one!

sringsmuth
Community Participant

@kblack ‌ You said in the above reply...

The points on the assignments still matter

Can you elaborate? I have an instructor who want to know if it is possible to  distribute weights evenly within a weighted assignment group. Basically, what she wants is this:

Homework Group: 30% of total grade

Observation 1: 25 points, and worth 25% of the total Homework Group weight

Observation 2: 10 points, and worth 25% of the total Homework Group weight

Analysis Paper: 50 points, and worth 25% of the total Homework Group weight

Reflection: 20 points, and worth 25% of the total Homework Group weight

Is this type of scenario possible, or will she have to adjust the point values on each assignment so they are all the same?

kblack
Community Champion

Hi sringsmuth‌ - Unfortunately it is the latter; the points must all be equal within a weighted assignment group if all of those assignments are to be considered equal.  The link that Kona Jones mentions, just below, is the Feature Idea that would most accurately address what your instructor wants.  I encourage you to vote it up and comment on it, especially since Instructure's latest update indicates that that they are working on it, so that way you'll be following it.

The only way, in the meantime, to achieve what your instructor wants is to literally place each individual assignment into its own weighted assignment group.  Therefore, Observation 1--which could indeed still be 25 points--would be in its own assignment group, by itself, called Observation 1 that is worth 7.5% of the overall grade.  Observation 2 would likewise also be worth 10 points, but once placed into its own assignment group called Observation 2, that group could be worth another 7.5% of the overall grade.

This is clunky....but it will work.

I hope this helps a bit, Simon!

@kblack ‌ and sringsmuth, placing each activity in its own assignment group would be a solution, but as you note, Ken, it would be clunky. As you mention, Simon, changing the point values for those four activities so that they're all equal (I'm partial to 100 points for everything) would also achieve the desired result.

sringsmuth
Community Participant

Thank you for the information, Ken!

RaghdaZ
Community Member

Hi Community, can I bring this topic back? is there a way to weight assessments and graded assignments, discussions and quizzes on Canvas?

bowmanr
Community Champion

@RaghdaZ 

Nothing has changed.  What is discussed previously still applies.  You can create weighted assignment groups, but individual assignments in those groups are not weighted.