Autoplay feature only audible in editing mode. Anyone found a work around?

Jump to solution
stotman
Community Explorer

Hi, community,

I've been attempting to gamify one of my college courses. It's a hero's quest-style gamification with a story arc throughout the course content. I would like to add some audio ambiance to the whole experience.

1.  I tried uploading the audio file into canvas using an audio attribute and autoplay. Nothing seems to be working consistently.

2. I tried setting up a youtube link embed with autoplay. I made it 1px by 1px so that you couldn't see the video (well, just a speck, but I think I could push that speck off the screen)

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/505796574?h=55a367426f&amp;autoplay=1&amp;loop=1&amp;title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="1" height="1" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen" allow="autoplay;"></iframe>

<iframe width="1" height="1" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5Jzp5H4mQVE?controls=0&autoplay=1" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The weird thing is, while editing the HTML, it starts auto-playing, but as soon as I go to preview it or the student view, I get nothing. Has anyone run into this same issue and found a workaround? It's not a huge issue, just a little touch to enhance the experience. 

Labels (1)
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @stotman,

I found this somewhat old thread while doing a community cleanup.  I think what you're running into is browsers actively blocking content like that as autoplay of audio/video had really started to be perhaps "overused" by advertisers and became a huge annoyance to users on the web in general.  I know a few audio/video services have some workarounds to browser limitations, but most of them end up being temporary as browsers then block the workarounds in later versions.  Even though I know you'd like the ambiance, I'd honestly recommend dropping the idea of background audio to save yourself the headaches of always having to stay on top of new workarounds all over your course.

We are marking this post as a solution to help Community Members find and respond to the newest and most active threads.  At any time, any Community member can click the “Not the Solution” option and then respond in-thread with your follow-up questions. It’s important to include @CommunityForums in that reply so we can restore the entire topic to our list of unanswered questions we check routinely.

-Chris

View solution in original post