Blueprint Sync - Can I exclude certain sections?

Jump to solution
AlyceaUngaro
Community Member

Hello!

We use a "Master" course as our Blueprint course with multiple sections.

However, we are really using each "section" as it's own course - with a distinct start and end date.

When I want to make changes to the Blueprint Master course and sync down to all sections that are still live.... I'd like to omit the prior sections which are courses that have been completed.

Any ideas - or answers on this?

Could we - select certain sections to include or exclude?

Or - could we conclude certain sections so that they are not part of the sync process any longer?

Other creative solutions?

Many thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @AlyceaUngaro,

I'll say that in general, course content (assignments, pages, discussions, quizzes, etc) all "belong" to a course shell.  Individual sections also belong to a course shell (whether they originated there or were crosslisted).  Because content doesn't belong to a section, I don't think it's really going to be possible to do what you'd like in this scenario.  I think this is one reason many schools/institutions (including the one I work for) create new separate course shells for each section of each course in each term it's taught.

You can certainly conclude certain sections by date, but that wouldn't really stop things form being updated for those secitons because of the way Canvas associates content to a course.

I hope this info helps a little, even though it may not be what you wanted to hear.

-Chris

View solution in original post