cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MsTia
Community Participant

Can I delete multiple pages at a time?

Jump to solution

I need to get rid of LOTS of pages I uploaded from a publisher's cartridge.  Any way to delete multiple pages at once?  Otherwise, it's three clicks apiece, minimum.

Tags (2)
2 Solutions
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@MsTia ​,

Unfortunately the answer is no.  I also did a quick search in the feature requests area to see if something like this currently exists and it does not.  I know it is not much help now, but I would recommend creating a Feature Request for this functionality at Share Ideas​.

Robbie

View solution in original post

awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @MsTia ​, one trick I can think of would be to export the course (How do I export a Canvas course?​) and then reset the course (How do I reset course content?​) and then import in the export package and choose "Select Specific Content" (How do I import a Canvas course export package?​). This will give you the option to either select none or only some of the pages. Depending on exactly how many pages you have and how many you need to get rid of this could be quicker than deleting each one manually.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@MsTia ​,

Unfortunately the answer is no.  I also did a quick search in the feature requests area to see if something like this currently exists and it does not.  I know it is not much help now, but I would recommend creating a Feature Request for this functionality at Share Ideas​.

Robbie

awilliams
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @MsTia ​, one trick I can think of would be to export the course (How do I export a Canvas course?​) and then reset the course (How do I reset course content?​) and then import in the export package and choose "Select Specific Content" (How do I import a Canvas course export package?​). This will give you the option to either select none or only some of the pages. Depending on exactly how many pages you have and how many you need to get rid of this could be quicker than deleting each one manually.

Cool trick, awilliams!

MsTia
Community Participant

Yeah . . . that would work.  Clever, Adam!

Guess what happened when I first imported a coursepack and did NOT select items?  Yep.  Turns out there was a thing called "Syllabus" that the publisher had written.  Poof!  Mine was overwritten.  No, I didn't have an updated backup 'cause I'd done a boatload of editing online.  But the delightful, amazing Andrew Cole got my baby back.

sberry7

The fact that this use case need a workaround is freaking ludicrous.

mmyers5

Is there still no better option than to have to export a course, and then import pages manually? Some courses have hundreds of pages to go through. Is it programmatically difficult to add check boxes next to the pages and delete multiples at a time?

jacobtowne7

This is a great idea and i personally would love to be able to have this as a feature.

0 Kudos

Tell your colleagues to hop on and vote for the feature then. Apparently we need a thousand votes to get the attention we need.

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

You may want to tell people where to hop on and lend their support. The active feature idea is https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4224-delete-multiple-pages" modifiedtitle="true" title="Delete.... Canvas has looked at this feature recently and says it doesn't plan to do anything with it in the first quarter of 2019. Getting 1000 votes isn't going to change that.

0 Kudos
James
Community Champion

There actually is a quicker way to delete things that some people can use. I wrote a script over 3 years ago (January 2016) that allows people to Bulk Publish / Delete Pages. Unfortunately, it was not available when the original question was asked back in August 2015.

It's a Google Sheet that loads a list of all your pages into a spreadsheet and you go through and mark which ones you want to publish or delete and then send the information back to Canvas. It's not built in, but if you have a lot of page management to do, that's why it was written.

MsTia
Community Participant

There's even a video!  Wheee.  Thank you.

James
Community Champion

Five years later, Canvas has developed their own tool for bulk deletion of pages. It will be available with the August 15, 2020, release. More information is available in the Canvas Release Notes (2020-08-15).

MsTia
Community Participant

Very exciting!

0 Kudos