Can a Spacer in a Quiz have a header and question number?

Jump to solution
JMH05
Community Member

Hello,

I have created a Quiz that has two questions.  The first one is a Test (no question) and the second is a Fill in the Blank.

When a student takes the quiz, the first question doesn’t have any sort of header.  The second question has a header and it reads “Question 1”.

In the student view, I can see that under Questions on the right hand side it lists Spacer and Question 1.  Apparently a Spacer doesn’t get a header and isn’t considered a question?

Is there any way to have my first question (Spacer) listed as Question 1 and the second question (Question 1) listed as “Question 2”?

Please let me know what you think.  Thanks!

- Jimmy

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Since I'm unable to resolve the header and question number issue, I took a different route and only used one question.

Issue:  I was required to embed an assessment in Canvas.  We were using prerequisites to force students to go from one module to the next.  I found that when I embedded an assessment in Canvas, students could simply click Next and Canvas didn’t care if the assessment had been filled out or not.

Solution:  In order to force the student to fill out the assessment before moving on to the next module, I created a Canvas quiz and embedded the assessment in a Fill in the Blank question.  The student has to fill out some text entry and respond to six questions in order to Submit the assessment.  After submitting, a congratulatory message along with a password is displayed.

The student then uses this password to answer the Canvas Fill in the Blank text entry box that appears beneath the embedded assessment.  The final step is for the student to submit the Canvas quiz.  On a successful completion of the quiz, they’re allowed to move on to the next module.

That seems to be working for me.  If anyone has any suggestions to improve this process, please let me know.  One note - I was not allowed to use Canvas to create the assessment.  That would have been a lot easier, but I was not allowed that option.

thanks,

Jimmy

View solution in original post