cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klucelr
Community Member

Can pages now appear in students' to-do lists?

Jump to solution

Hi! I just noticed that there's a check box when editing pages to "add to student to-do." Does this mean that ungraded course items will appear in students' to-do lists if we check the box? I tried giving a page a date two days ahead and checked in Student View, but it didn't show up. I'm very happy if there is such a feature, but want to be sure I understand how it will appear to students.

• If I check the box, will the page appear in the to-do list for students?
  • And how will it go off the list? Will it disappear after the due date, or stay until students remove it?

We have a lot of trouble with students clicking on assignments from their to-do lists and doing badly because they haven't read the instructions or lectures. Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, all!

I just noticed that there's a check box when editing pages to "add to student to-do." Does this mean that ungraded course items will appear in students' to-do lists if we check the box? I tried giving a page a date two days ahead and checked in Student View, but it didn't show up. I'm very happy if there is such a feature, but want to be sure I understand how it will appear to students.

Yes, as part of How do I create a new page in a course?, you can check the box to add the page to the student to-do list. This checkbox also displays when creating a non-graded discussion. (Graded items have always been added to the to-do list by default.)

• If I check the box, will the page appear in the to-do list for students?

Pages with to-do dates display in the following places:

• The Dashboard List View and the Dashboard Card View to-do sidebar (students)
  • The course page to-do sidebar (students)
  • The calendar (instructors and students)
  • The syllabus (instructors and students)

• And how will it go off the list? Will it disappear after the due date, or stay until students remove it?

Students will have to manually check off the to-do item for the page to be marked as completed. (Items are never removed from the List View; they're just shown as completed.) 

However, coming in the August 25 release (and you can test this in the beta environment right now if you want), if you have the page added to ONE module and require students to mark the page as done (as a module requirement), the module requirement completion will also complete the page in the Dashboard List View. But this process won't work if the page lives in more than one module.

Hope that helps! 

And we'll let you know when the calendar and sidebar functionality are consistent for all users.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

23 Replies
jonesn16
Community Champion

I just tested this in a course, and it showed up in Student View in the Syllabus area as part of the Course Summary along with the other assignments. I didn't see it in the To Do list, but to be fair I didn't see any of the other assignments in the To Do list either while in Student View.

If you're worried about students jumping ahead in their To Do list and skipping lectures, you can use the Modules area to enforce adaptive release, so that they aren't able to submit an assignment until they've looked at specific pages.

Community Champion

Hi Katherine,

Having added a 'page' to a Module and checked the box to 'add to student to do', I find that it shows up under 'Pages' with a 'To Do' date in the roster of pages, but it does NOT list in the courses' 'To Do' list in the menu on the right hand side of the course window. I dated the page for less than 24 hours in the future... see below.

Pages - To Do date listed

I don't know if this is what was intended, but this is the behavior that I found.

orwinr
Community Champion

Hi klucelr

I can confirm what  @jonesn16  has said. I logged in as both the test student and a real student and didn't see the page listed in the home page To Do list and only saw it in the Course Summary on the Syllabus page. Bug by chance or expected behavior?

rmurchshafer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Katherine,

The new To Do option for pages is a little different than the To Do for Assignment Due Dates.  On the Dashboard in Canvas students have a List View option and this is where those To Do items show up.  As shown below there is a check box along with it so they can mark if off as complete.  

284884_pastedImage_1.png

The item will also show on the Calendar and the Syllabus.

284903_pastedImage_2.png

284904_pastedImage_3.png

Here is a guide page about creating a To Do calendar item https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15245-4212947405 

Rick

orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @rmurchshafer  and thanks for this information. I find this design to be a bit less than intuitive, especially forcing students to go to list view on their dashboard to see pages that have been assigned to the to do list. Anybody else find this to be a bit clunky?

Community Champion

Yes... not what I was expecting when told that 'Pages' could be added to the 'To Do' list...    :<(

Randy,

It was not what I was expecting either.  I thought that the items would show in the existing To Do list like assignments and it sounds like others thought this as well.

If you were at InstructureCon you might have heard during one of the Keynote talks about the new student dashboard (aka List view).  Canvas (and others) have figured out from talking with students that they tend to not actually enter courses in Canvas and look through content; they look at the Calendar and To Do lists and just do those things.  The new Student Dashboard is being introduced as a way to help students better see those items, and adding the ability for teachers to put Pages on the To Do list is a way to help put content in front of them even if it's not a graded assignment.  Students can also add their own items to the To Do list if they want.  Feedback has shown that students do like checklists of things they should be doing.

I don't think recordings are available yet from those keynotes but it might be worth listening to the explanation given about this new feature.  Having said all that; it's still not exactly what I thought it was going to be.  Using the term To-Do list was possibly a mistake since there is already a different To Do list that acts differently.

Rick

orwinr
Community Champion

Hi  @rmurchshafer ,

Yeah, I was at InstructureCon and did see this but, like you, I think they made a mistake in saying it would be added to the To Do list. I like the concept of a check list and believe it will be beneficial to students when they just want a quick check in. Our new templates are designed with the concept that few clicks is better and we pretty much don't use modules at all for most things unless we want to manage content access by date and prereqs.

klucelr
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the responses. It's getting clearer! I wasn't able to go to InstructureCon, but will look for the keynotes. I'm glad Instructure is listening to input about students going straight to list items instead of moving through courses in order, but I'm concerned about having having more than one list.  I appreciate the suggestion to add requirements - I try to minimize restrictions with the course material since students often have unexpectedly valid reasons for jumping around, but maybe I'll try it in one section and see what happens....

Kitty