Check historic grades of the assignments submitted by a student?

Jump to solution
JiaqiCheng
Community Explorer

Hi, Instructure team, 

Could you please help me with the following question?

We want to see the progress of the students.

Thus, we need to check all the historic grades of an assignment submitted by a student.

For example, if a student has handed in an assignment multiple times, at the moment we are only able to find the score of the current submitted assignment and the last time submitted assignment from the data we extracted from the Canvas platform by joining "learning_outcome_result_dim" and "learning_outcome_result_fact"?

But how can we find the scores of the same assignment submitted by this student before the last time?

Thanks. 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Contributor

Hi @JiaqiCheng 

If you were accessing the date via API, you would be looking at the Gradebook History (https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/gradebook_history.html#method.gradebook_history_api.submissio... ).  But within the Canvas Data, I don't see the history available in straightforward table.  I suspect that you'll need to look at "submission_dim", which includes information about the assignment submission and the grade, as well as a "grade_matches_current_submission" boolean indicating whether or not this submission is the most recent one to be graded.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ColtonSwapp
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @JiaqiCheng 

You can always check the gradebook history if you want to see grades for submissions that were entered. 

I did find THIS API information on checking submissions. This should help you look at: The event is emitted anytime an end user or API request submits or re-submits an assignment. 

Hopefully this helps! 

-Colton

View solution in original post