Clarification Regarding Yellow Flag in Turnitin

Jump to solution
cmc2392
Community Explorer

Dear Canvas Support,

I hope this email finds you well. I wanted to reach out regarding a recent yellow flag I received on a Turnitin submission. I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding that may have occurred. Please contact awojick@nvcc.edu

Upon seeing the yellow flag, I interpreted it as a high-level critical emergency, leading to some confusion on my part. However, after further investigation and consultation, I now understand that a yellow flag typically indicates that 25% to 49% of the paper matches external sources. While this does not necessarily imply plagiarism, it suggests areas where the paper could benefit from more paraphrasing and analysis to ensure originality and adherence to academic integrity standards.

I realize the importance of addressing the highlighted similarities and making necessary adjustments to maintain academic integrity. I want to assure you that I take this matter seriously and am committed to improving my work and enhancing my understanding of proper citation and originality.

If there are any further steps or actions I should take in response to the yellow flag, please do not hesitate to let me know. Your guidance and support in this matter are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Sincerely, Carol

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @cmc2392 ...

I'm not sure if you realized this or not, but you have posted your question to the global Canvas Community website.  While Community members can try to help you with Canvas related questions, this isn't technically a "technical support" where you're contacting a support team at a given company.  In reading through your question, it sounds like you got a yellow flag on an assignment you submitted that was scanned by Turnitin (a plagiarism detector).  I would suggest that you reach out to your instructor for any concerns you have about this.  Your instructor would be able to discuss with you what things Turnitin detected as possible issues so that you can get those things addressed in your assignment.  Canvas Community members do not have access to your school's Canvas environment or any of your courses in Canvas, so it would be very difficult for us to help troubleshoot this with you.  And, since Turnitin is a third-party product that can integrate with Canvas, contacting your instructor directly is the appropriate place to start...because your instructor would most likely not see your message here...as this is a public community discussion board seen globally.  In order to contact your instructor within Canvas, follow the instructions in this Guide:

How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

Another option is to contact your school's Online Learning / eLearning / Distance Education team.  They would be able to help you get in contact with your instructor as well...or at least point you in the right direction.

I hope this information will be helpful to you.  Good luck!

View solution in original post