Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tim_goswell

Generate badges for different level of a quiz mark in one exam

Jump to solution
Hi Peeps,
Got Badgr badges and pathways all working and integrated into Canvas...nice

I think , I am thinking about the issue of grades and badges wrong.

The badges seem to be driven off modules but I cannot find a way to generate badges for different level of a quiz mark in one exam ... beit via grade scheme, module requirements, rubrics etc
We run quizzes so I need to issue different badges for given quiz marks...
So the outcome is :
if I get 80% or above in the quiz I get a Grading of "Master" this generates a Quiz - Master level badge (Like a "Gold")
if I get 70% or above in the quiz I get a Grading of "Practitioner" this generates a Quiz - Practitioner level badge (Like a "Silver")
if I get 60% or above in the quiz I get a Grading of "Associate" this generates a Quiz - Associate level badge (Like a "Bronze")
<60%, well ... nothing
This will mean I can create complex cert pathways combining various exams. (my goal)
Open to suggestions
T.
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tim_goswell .  We recently started using Badgr Pro and Pathways as well, in our case for various types of faculty development classes we offer.  Recently we had a similar question as we wished to offer badges for completion of assignments as opposed to modules and learned that currently this is not possible.  We have had luck setting up Mastery Paths so that depending on what an individual scores on a quiz, they have to complete different requirements to successfully complete the module and earn a badge, but not have a badge awarded for anything other than completion of a module.

We are working daily on our Pathways and different ways to trigger badges through the achievement of badge elements or child badges. I talk this over more with my colleague also work on badging and if we think of anything helpful post an update here.  Hopefully someone else has a creative idea and can let us both know!

All the best---

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @tim_goswell .  We recently started using Badgr Pro and Pathways as well, in our case for various types of faculty development classes we offer.  Recently we had a similar question as we wished to offer badges for completion of assignments as opposed to modules and learned that currently this is not possible.  We have had luck setting up Mastery Paths so that depending on what an individual scores on a quiz, they have to complete different requirements to successfully complete the module and earn a badge, but not have a badge awarded for anything other than completion of a module.

We are working daily on our Pathways and different ways to trigger badges through the achievement of badge elements or child badges. I talk this over more with my colleague also work on badging and if we think of anything helpful post an update here.  Hopefully someone else has a creative idea and can let us both know!

All the best---

Hi Eric ,

Thanks for this. Really, I am just interested in the outcome of multiple badges autogenerated dependent of score of a single quiz. Don't really care how: we are so early in our dev phase I could reorganise our approach completely.  Could I be the only site in the world who wants this? I hope not. 

I have put it to Canvas and Badgr support also. 

T.

On reading your message again (and absorbing it this time 🙂 ) , I'm going to delve into Mastery paths using your approach.

Thanks!

T.

Hi  @tim_goswell .  Let me know how it goes!  It also occurred to me that you can create badges and manually award these to students individually or in groups for various types of achievement.  We have been trying to automate the process as much as possible so have avoided this for the most part.

Good luck!

I love your idea of using badges for pathways, but my school uses badgr free.  Will this work without a pro account?

Hi  @kunikb !  Yes, Badgr Pathways is a paid upgrade but you can subscribe to Badgr Pro and Pathways separately.  You could accomplish something similar without Pathways, but then you would need to track progress though the pathway with something other than Badgr, perhaps a Google spreadsheet or something similar.  We found the Pathway subscription to be reasonably priced and worth the investment.  

I hope this helps and best of luck.  Please let me know how it goes!

Eric

kinseikun

I'm also interested in having gold, silver, bronze levels of the same badge!!!