Google Assignment LTI 1.3 using Canvas rubrics

Jump to solution
mpoinsett
Community Member

I need to set up a Google Assignment LTI 1.3 assignment but need to add a Canvas rubric, not the one listed in the assignment overlay. Has anyone accomplished this? I was excited with I saw the LTI option but in testing the process does not seem to be fluid from creating the Canvas assignment through the grading of the assignment. Is this just me? I have watched numerous YouTube videos and read beaucoup write ups and still at a loss on explaining clearly to our faculty. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
PallaviJalakam
Community Contributor

Hello,

I tried to add Canvas Rubrics to my Google Assignments, but the + Rubric button in the screenshot below is not available for Google Assignments. 

Screenshot to show Add Rubric button for an assignmentScreenshot to show Add Rubric button for an assignment

I am 99.9% certain that we cannot add a rubric created within a Canvas to a Google assignment. To add a rubric to a Google assignment, you must create one within the Google assignment.

I believe this is because the Google Assignment is an LTI and the Submission Type is External Tool. If the How do I add a rubric to an assignment? article is to be believed, then it says: You can only add a rubric to assignments that use the Online or On Paper submission types. (First pointer in Notes)

We started Google Canvas Integration (Google Assignments) pilot and creating Google Assignments, adding Rubrics, and Grading so far was not a big hassle. There were a few hiccups for sure during the Testing phase, but we are now comfortable using the very basic functionalities of Google Assignments. However, the documentation from Google for Google Assignments Integration with Canvas was a bit clumsy and we had to create our own Getting Started guide.

Google Assignments had Grade Syncing issues earlier, but Grade Sync/Passback works fine now if you grade using the Google Assignment grading options and not SpeedGrader.

I would also like to emphasize that Grade passback is not efficient for Test Student accounts and works only for actual students. (We spent several hours trying to figure out why the Test Student grade was not reflected in the Canvas Gradebook. I wish this limitation was noted somewhere in Google Assignments/Canvas documentation.) I have also read that the grades do not pass back if the point totals do not match between Canvas and Google from the beginning. If you modify or adjust points, the grades will not pass back.

Hope this helps and am happy to answer if there are any more questions wrt Google Assignments.

Thanks!

Pallavi

View solution in original post

0 Likes