Gradebook Organization

Jump to solution
RoDe
Community Explorer

In my gradebook, I currently have my exams, quizzes, and assignments each in their own grading Groups and weighted accordingly. However, I'd like to create another column in the gradebook that averages their exams and quizzes (in addition to the Total that averages exams, quizzes, and assignments). To pass the class, students must have a specific average among their quizzes and exams and a specific average of all course requirements.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2 Solutions
mzimmerman
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @RoDe 

When you say "Grading Group", do you mean a "Grading Period". or do you mean an "Assignment Group"?

Assignments (including quizzes, graded discussions, etc.) can be organized into "Assignment Groups" (see https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-add-an-assignment-group-in-a-course/ta-... ).  Assignment groups are used if you are weighting grades, but you can use assignment groups to organize assignments even if you are not weighting grades, and each assignment group gets its own column in the grade book showing the student's percentage correct for all the assignments in that assignment group.

So, you could have a "Exams and quizzes" assignment group for your exams and quizzes and an "Assignments" assignment group for everything else, and then you'd see a column for each of those in the grade book showing the percent correct for each of those groups.  

Note that this percent calculation is figured by adding up all the cumulative points awarded for all the assignments in the group and dividing it by the total points possible for all the assignments in the group.  This may or may not be what you mean by "average"

View solution in original post

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@RoDe 

what @mzimmerman has provided does explain some of the functionality with assignment groups.

If I understand you correctly, I do not think it is possible to do what you want.  I believe your wording is a little different from what Canvas uses (as Mzimmerman noted).

You have 3 assignment groups with a weighted gradebook (I'll use hypothetical numbers) Exams (40%), Quizzes (30%) and assignments (homework or other types 30%).
your total column is the grade calculation based on those weights.

You want to add another column that would take the exam scores and the quiz scores (weighting could still be 40% and 30% total would just be taken out of 70 instead of 100) and report that average(however it is calculated).  Then the requirement to pass the class is at least an overall course grade of say 70% (score reported in the total column) and at least a 60% on the exams and quizzes.

If the above is what you want, then I do not know of a way to do that in Canvas directly.  

You could add another assignment group called Quizzes and exams and give it a weight of 0%.  Put one assignment in there titled QuizExamAverage.   Then you would have to export the grade book, perform the calculation you want for the Quiz Exam combined score and store it in the assignment QuizExamAverage and then import the csv file.  That way, that average is reported to the students in the grade book, but it has no affect on their course grade. 

I hope that helps some.  If not, post some more information and we will see what happens.

View solution in original post