tengrrl
Community Participant

Grades showing for a Graded Survey that isn't open

Jump to solution

I have a puzzling oddity that I can't figure out. I have a number of Graded Surveys (in Classic Quizzes). One of these surveys doesn't open to students until Feb 12, and yet somehow Canvas has assigned zeroes to 74 students (even Test Student has a zero). Eleven students have no grade. I can't find any obvious pattern in those excluded students. None of my other assignments are involved.

Any suggestion on what's wrong? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @tengrrl,

While I don't have an immediate answer to this question, I do have a suggestion to perhaps help figure out what happened.  If you use the Gradebook History tool, it should give some useful information on when the 0s were entered and possibly by who.  Maybe there was an incorrrect due date set at some point that triggered a missing policy.  Maybe someone else you're not aware of has grading access for the course.  If you could review the grading history for the assignment and let us know what you see there, it could certainly help narrow down the possibilities.

-Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @tengrrl,

While I don't have an immediate answer to this question, I do have a suggestion to perhaps help figure out what happened.  If you use the Gradebook History tool, it should give some useful information on when the 0s were entered and possibly by who.  Maybe there was an incorrrect due date set at some point that triggered a missing policy.  Maybe someone else you're not aware of has grading access for the course.  If you could review the grading history for the assignment and let us know what you see there, it could certainly help narrow down the possibilities.

-Chris

tengrrl
Community Participant

Thanks for the Gradebook History tip. I forgot that tool was there. So whatever did it happened on Jan 11 at 1:37 to 1:38 AM. I'm thinking that the easiest solution to get those zeroes out of the gradebook will be to just make a new quiz and delete the old one. 

FWIW: 

• Yes, it was imported, but all the dates were changed.
  • The due date/available until dates have not passed. It's not even available to take yet.
  • No one else has grading access (unless there's some Canvas hack none of us know about).
  • Grader is listed as "Not Available" so it appears to be some automated thing. 

I think what really confuses me is this: How could the system grade something for some, but not all, students before a course is even published? Maybe the unaffected students added after the 11th? But I'm lost on what triggered this in the first place. 

I'll just create a new one and delete the old to solve the problem (before students freak out).

Thanks for the help,

Traci

0 Kudos

@tengrrl -

I would contact your Canvas admins at your institution and provide them that information (if you have not deleted the quiz - even then you might be able to seee the information again if you undelete it).  they may have some insight or they might also send it to Canvas tech support to see if they can find out what happened.

That is a really strange occurrence that hopefully won't show up again.

Ron

0 Kudos
Ron_Bowman
Community Coach
Community Coach

@tengrrl -

I agree with @chriscas it sounds like the option to give missing assignments a 0 has been set and that the due date was past when the assignment was published.

A question I have is where did the graded survey come from?  Was it a brand new creation?  Or did you do a course copy import?  If you did the import, and the assignment was published in the old course, it will show up published in the new course.  If you did not shift the dates, then it will come in with the old dates which could lead to the assignment of 0's by the missing assignment policy.  Of course it is strange that some students were not given a grade.

Any other details you can provide on how the assignment was created would be useful - hopefully the grade history will solve the problem.

Ron