Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jason_lamza
Community Member

How can I rotate my profile photo?

Jump to solution

I'm setting up my canvas account for the first time and each profile photo I upload is sideways. This is despite the photo being normal on my desktop. How do I change my photo to appear normal? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kbishop
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jason.  Images will display in canvas sideways if they are taken through a mobile device.  Essentially those devices embed rotation code that Canvas does not read.  The quickest way to resolve this would be to open the image on your computer, then right click on it to perform a "save as".  This will re-save the file and strip out that extra code, and the image will display the way you need.  Other options to get around this would be to take a screenshot of the image with a program such as Jing that's free to download online.  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kbishop
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Jason.  Images will display in canvas sideways if they are taken through a mobile device.  Essentially those devices embed rotation code that Canvas does not read.  The quickest way to resolve this would be to open the image on your computer, then right click on it to perform a "save as".  This will re-save the file and strip out that extra code, and the image will display the way you need.  Other options to get around this would be to take a screenshot of the image with a program such as Jing that's free to download online.  Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jason_lamza  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question here.  I'm taking a guess here, but are you trying to upload a photo that you took on you phone?  If so, one trick I like to use when taking a photo (especially in landscape view) is to use the volume button to take the photo instead of the on-screen button on my iPhone to snap a shot.  This usually keeps my photos lined up the way I had intended...even after downloading them from my phone to a computer.

There have been a few similar questions here in the Community about this, so I'll provide some links for your reference:

I hope this information is helpful to you, Jason!

Stefanie,

Thank you, that is exactly my problem. I'll remember the tip for the future and will look at these links to see what they say. I appreciate the quick response and information.

Jason

@jason_lamza ...

I'm assuming that you are replying via e-mail and not via the Canvas Community website (which is why you may have seen Stefanie's name instead of mine?).  Please let us know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

Chris