How do I differentiate grading methods in a single assignment?

Jump to solution
SARAHW2
Community Novice

I'm a high school biology teacher with a mix of general education and special education students in my course. There are about 80 students total in this course, spread across four sections.

I'd like to find a way to grade a handful of students with IEPs solely based on participation for quizzes where all other students are graded based on answering the correct response. In other words, I want to give one or two students in the class points for answering anything, while everyone else only gets points for the correct answers. 

Is there a way to do this? I use quizzes for my entry tasks and want all the students to see the same questions. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you @SARAHW2 for supporting students with IEPs.

It is possible to manually overwrite the score that a student received from an automatically graded quiz by typing over that student's score on the Grades page. (Another option is using the fudge points on the quiz attempt but that requires clicking to view the attempt for each student receiving the accommodation.) 

There are two things that can make this easier, one for your students and one for you. For your students, if you change those quiz grades to be manually instead of automatically released, you can make those changes for those one or two students and then release the quiz grades for everyone at once. That way those students with IEPs don't see the lower score on the Grades page at all.

For you, you can filter the Grades page to show only those students who receive the accommodation. That would save you from looking through all 80 students to find just one or two.

Here are Canvas Guides documents that provide instructions for these steps:

View solution in original post