cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elpersley
Community Member

How do I upload a student submission for an assignment?

I have created an assignment with Turnitin on Canvas and have a couple students, who weren't able to upload their documents. They have emailed me their papers and I am not trying to figure out how I can upload it so it can join the other submissions.

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @elpersley ...

If you have the Turnitin LTI integrated with your school's Canvas environment, as far as I know, you cannot submit work on behalf of your students via the integration.  However, you should be able to log in to the Turnitin website ( @dhulsey ‌, is this still true?) to submit the student's paper so that Turnitin can check it for plagiarism.

In searching through the Canvas Community website, I found this Feature Idea which was archived: Canvas and Turnitin, but stefaniesanders provided some links in the comments that may be of help to you.  Also, you can check out Dallas' blog called https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/plagiarism/blog/2015/04/18/canvas-and-turnitin?sr=search&sear... for a lot more information and conversation.

I hope this is helpful to you, Erin.

dhulsey
Community Champion

Hey,  @chofer ‌! As far as I know, it is still true. Another path  @elpersley ‌ would be to diagnose the problems the students are having so that they can submit the paper themselves.

I can also report that submitting on behalf of a student via the Turnitin LTI integration should be coming "soon" according to a recent Turnitin webinar. Smiley Happy 

straussi
Community Champion

We currently have the LTI integration. While you can't submit work into the Canvas flow, here are the steps we provide faculty to get the student paper analyzed:

• First, in your course, create a Turnitin assignment using the External tool method (or use a current Turnitin assignment).  This creates a link between your <school> account and turnitin.com
  • Select 'Log in' from the http://turnitin.com page (upper right corner)
  • Click 'Reset Password' and follow the instructions, including entering your email password
  • Return to http://turnitin.com and login
  • Select an 'Active' Class (e.g. your Sandbox if that is where you created the Turnitin assignment).
  • Click an assignment's "View" button to view the assignment inbox and any submissions that have been made to the assignment.
  • Make manual submissions by clicking on the "Submit" option in the assignment's "More actions" menu.
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@elpersley ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie