cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sadenniston
Community Contributor

Image rotation

Jump to solution

I have uploaded 8 images from my computer. On my computer they are correctly oriented.

When I upload them to the files area in my Canvas course, four of them are correctly oriented but the other four are sideways.

All the images are of the same width and height - 240 x 320.

Why would Canvas be rotating them for no apparent reason...?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sadenniston ​...

I'm not so sure this is a symptom of Canvas.  I've actually seen this same issue happen with some software (not PowerPoint) we have at my church that we use to project slides for our Sunday worship services.  The only solution I've been able to figure out is that you need to open the image inside of a graphics program (you can use something as simple as the built-in MS Paint program included with Windows), save the file without making any changes to it, and then try uploading it again.  When I've seen rotated images, it's usually because they've come off of my phone.

There are a couple Feature Ideas that have been submitted in the past that you might want to take a look at:

(currently open for voting)

(archived due to a lack of needed votes)

Hope this information is helpful to you, Sam.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sadenniston ​...

I'm not so sure this is a symptom of Canvas.  I've actually seen this same issue happen with some software (not PowerPoint) we have at my church that we use to project slides for our Sunday worship services.  The only solution I've been able to figure out is that you need to open the image inside of a graphics program (you can use something as simple as the built-in MS Paint program included with Windows), save the file without making any changes to it, and then try uploading it again.  When I've seen rotated images, it's usually because they've come off of my phone.

There are a couple Feature Ideas that have been submitted in the past that you might want to take a look at:

(currently open for voting)

Hope this information is helpful to you, Sam.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I'd second that this isn't actually a Canvas issue. We've had this happen a number of times, quite often with students who are trying to upload a profile picture in Canvas, and what it normally ends up being is that the program you are using to view the pictures is automatically rotating them to look correct. Yet, the actual image file itself isn't actually rotated the correct direction. I've used the free google program Picasa to do my rotating/tweaking to pictures before saving them and uploading to Canvas and this seems to help.

diverson
Community Member

This worked for me.  On my Macintosh, I simply double-clicked on the image file in the finder, and it opened in Preview.  Without doing anything else, I simply saved the image.  When I uploaded that image to Canvas, it was oriented properly.

Community Member

I found that if I saved the image as a square image, it worked. I know sometimes this isn't possible, but worth a try.

iluengo
Community Member

Thanks, David! I had been struggling with that problem for ever, and your solution fixed it for me.

kriket
Community Member

This happens for me as well.  All pictures are turned to landscape, even if they are portrait when actually taken (not just rotated in software).  Although other programs have this problem, I still think it is an issue with Canvas, because the majority of places that you upload photos don't have this issue.

Thank you all for tips on working around this Canvas quirk.

pecchiog
Community Participant

I have instructors struggling with this too. Thank you for posting this!

pecchiog
Community Participant

Does anyone know if it matters what filetype the image is, or what platform it originates in (Mac vs. PC)? For an instructor to have to resave every image before uploading it is a doable workaround but not idea.

kriket
Community Member

I've researched this a bit more, and I believe it is only a MacOS issue.  They have a way of encoding the images (maybe in Photos?) that is unique.  Some software is programmed to recognize and handle it correctly, some (Canvas for example) is not.  I hope that helps.