Is there a way to create a generic lab competency rubric that allows for individual comp. grading?

Jump to solution
MMphillips
Community Member

To provide a little more context . . . I have a weekly lab with 4 competencies. Each student receives a weekly lab grade but each student works on different competencies each week. 

Is there a way to create a rubric and associate it with the weekly lab grade that includes ALL 4 competencies, but allows me to only grade the competencies that student worked on that week without the other competencies showing as zero and counting against the student's grade.  So that a percentage grade pulls over each week after grade. 

Example:  If a student is only graded for 1 of the competencies that week, but gets full credit- it will pull over as a 100% in the gradebook instead of a 25%.  

I am not sure if it is possible to do this in Canvas. Any helps is appreciated. Thank you! 

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
cstrikwerda
Instructure
Instructure

Hello @MMphillips it looks like this would be a limitation of Rubrics right now. Currently when using a Rubric to grade, it would be calculating the score out of the entire Rubrics ratings we have entered. If you left some Rating fields empty, awaiting the submissions to those competencies, it would only be applying the score for the Ratings you have applied scores to.
Grading with a Rubric

Right now this seems to be a limitation as we are not able to only apply one Rubric rating to the score, and omit the others, when grading. Although we are always open to input and you could submit this possibly as an Idea in our Ideas Page.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes