cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael_berg
Community Member

Is there a way to view a student's deleted discussion post?

Jump to solution

Canvas appears to track everything that happens in an LMS. Once I or a student goes in and marks a post as deleted is there a way to get it back. The ability to just track that a student deleted the post is not very helpful. Does the system archive the post and can the teacher retrieve it?

Thank you,

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@michael_berg ​, neither a teacher nor a student can retrieve a deleted discussion post. Having said that, you have a few options:

1. Try logging into your school's Canvas beta instance, the URL for which is [yourinstitution].beta.instructure.com. So if you normally log into abc.instructure.com to access your Canvas courses, you would instead log into abc.beta.instructure.com. The beta instance is a snapshot that is usually a few days old, so you might be able to navigate to the discussion and see the deleted post.

2. Submit a help ticket (using the Help menu or question mark on your screen, depending on whether your school is using the old or new UI). Canvas Support in the past has performed near-miracles in retrieving deleted content.

Going forward, you have some control over the delete functionality. This lesson from the Canvas Guides explains the settings at the course level: What options are available on the Course Details page?  You'll see that you have the ability to enable or disable students' ability to edit and delete discussion posts. In my courses, I always disable this option, because I want to see the first post students compose, warts and all--and most of my discussions require students to post before they can see replies, so I don't want students to be able to game the system by posting anything just so they can gain access to others' posts, and then delete their first post. Unfortunately, the course permission is not sufficiently granular that you can either allow students to edit their posts or delete their posts. So you have to decide in managing your course discussions whether allowing your students to be able to edit their posts is worth also allowing them to delete them.

If you'd like to see these permissions separated, I noticed that there is a now-archived feature idea about this very thing: ; unfortunately, it only received 10 votes. If you wish to rejuvenate it so that it might be reopened for voting, please post the link to the new feature idea here. I'd vote for it. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Thank you very much. That is very helpful! Smiley Happy

2 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@michael_berg ​, neither a teacher nor a student can retrieve a deleted discussion post. Having said that, you have a few options:

1. Try logging into your school's Canvas beta instance, the URL for which is [yourinstitution].beta.instructure.com. So if you normally log into abc.instructure.com to access your Canvas courses, you would instead log into abc.beta.instructure.com. The beta instance is a snapshot that is usually a few days old, so you might be able to navigate to the discussion and see the deleted post.

2. Submit a help ticket (using the Help menu or question mark on your screen, depending on whether your school is using the old or new UI). Canvas Support in the past has performed near-miracles in retrieving deleted content.

Going forward, you have some control over the delete functionality. This lesson from the Canvas Guides explains the settings at the course level: What options are available on the Course Details page?  You'll see that you have the ability to enable or disable students' ability to edit and delete discussion posts. In my courses, I always disable this option, because I want to see the first post students compose, warts and all--and most of my discussions require students to post before they can see replies, so I don't want students to be able to game the system by posting anything just so they can gain access to others' posts, and then delete their first post. Unfortunately, the course permission is not sufficiently granular that you can either allow students to edit their posts or delete their posts. So you have to decide in managing your course discussions whether allowing your students to be able to edit their posts is worth also allowing them to delete them.

If you'd like to see these permissions separated, I noticed that there is a now-archived feature idea about this very thing: ; unfortunately, it only received 10 votes. If you wish to rejuvenate it so that it might be reopened for voting, please post the link to the new feature idea here. I'd vote for it. Smiley Happy

Thank you very much. That is very helpful! Smiley Happy