Module requirements not behaving as expected

Jump to solution
lglen2
Community Participant

I have a module with no prerequisite set. Therea re six pages and four assignments. These are interspersed as follows:

Page 1
Homework #1
Page 2
Page 3
Homework #2
Pag3 4
Homework #3
Page 5
Homework #4
Page 6

I want students to have to finish one HW assignment before being able to access the next one, so I have set these four items as required, and in sequential order. The pages are not in the list by design; I want students to be able to view the pages whenever they want, in any order.

But in student view (see screenshot), while I can view the first page and the first Homework assignment, I can't view any of the other pages. The homeworks are grayed out, but so are the subsequent pages. You can see the "completion" circles on the four assignments and not the pages, but I should be able to view the pages. Going to the last thing I /can/ see and then clicking "Next", I get a message that a prerequisite hasn't been met, which isn't true.

Am I doing something wrong or is Canvas thinking (incorrectly) for me again?

0 Likes
1 Solution
thovey
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lglen2 

It looks like you have "Students must move through requirements in sequential order" enabled for that module. If you disable that students should then be able to access those pages without completing the requirements in that module.

How do I add requirements to a module? 

View solution in original post