Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anne_oney

PLTW Engineering Program...Need Information!

Jump to solution

I am currently teaching the PLTW Launch program at my elementary school.  I am meeting with our local high school council and Principal to request the addition of the Engineering PLTW program to their curriculum. My kids LOVE PLTW and I want to ensure they will continue to have this opportunity in high school.  Unfortunately, I'm not as familiar with the Engineering Program at the High school level so I'm reaching out to you, hoping you can help me out. 

Online, I see there are several Engineering courses.  I've looked at each course curriculum and see there are many different units embedded into a course (Intro to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Aerospace, Civil & Architecture, Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Computer Science, Digital, Environmental Sustainability, Engineering Design & Development).  I hope you can provide some much needed information.

• What is the Sequence of Courses?  Are these courses all separate or build on previous experience?  If so, could you provide a recommended order/timeline.
  • How long should a course take to implement?  (timeline)
  • What certification is needed for teachers to instruct these courses?
  • Do high schools implementing the PLTW Engineering courses offer all courses or only a few?  If you can give me references of schools and what course programs they offer, that would be greatly appreciated
  • What is the approximate cost of the courses?
  • What space/room is needed to implment the courses?
  • Equipment Needs?
  • To fully implement an Engineering program at the High School level, what is the expectation for the school?  3 courses? 2 courses
  • Is it possible to offer one course as an elective to introduce students to engineering?  If so, which course woudl you recommend?

Any help or information you can provide is greatly appreciated.  I look forward to your correspondence.

Anne Oney

anne.oney@boone.kyschools.us

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello all!  Yes, the best people to answer these particular questions would be the PLTW folks themselves.   Here is their direct Support contact info that the PLTW Canvas Admin would like you to use: 

PLTW School Support Team

(877) 335-7589

or via email at schoolsupport@pltw.org.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@anne_oney ​, welcome to the Canvas Community! This is where teachers, administrators, and students from around the world exchange tips and tricks about how to use the Canvas learning management system to facilitate and deliver course content. You have very specific questions about the content of Project Lead the Way courses, and I don't think the members of the Community will be able to answer them. There is a private Project Lead the Way​ group in the Community, and you might want to request membership to that group to try to get answers to your questions. And, you might have better luck corresponding directly with Project Lead the Way at their website: Home | PLTW  Good luck!

abunag
Community Champion

Hi Anne,

Unfortunately, we won't be able to answer these questions.  You've posted this on the Canvas community board, where users of the Canvas Learning Management System come together to discuss how to use Canvas.  PLTW is not part of Canvas, and most users on this board have no familiarity with it.  I'd suggest reaching out to PLTW directly with your questions: Home | PLTW

Sorry about that.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

Also,  @anne_oney , I've shared your question with a few people who might be able to help--but as  @abunag ​ and I have suggested, it sounds like going directly to Home | PLTW  will be your best bet.

Hello all!  Yes, the best people to answer these particular questions would be the PLTW folks themselves.   Here is their direct Support contact info that the PLTW Canvas Admin would like you to use: 

PLTW School Support Team

(877) 335-7589

or via email at schoolsupport@pltw.org.