cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KENNAN
Community Member

POSSIBLE QUIZ BUG: Questions get skipped after clicking 'next'

Jump to solution

I recently encountered an issue when I'm taking a quiz in Canvas. While I was answering a question in a quiz and clicking the 'next' button, I noticed that some of the succeeding questions get skipped. For example, when I'm done with question 1, Canvas takes me to question 5 which leaves questions 2-4 unanswered. This has happened to me more than once and it is starting to worry me as it can affect my grades. What could be the possible cause for this? I would also mention that this happened to both the canvas app on my phone and the desktop version. 

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @KENNAN …

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people here in the Canvas Community would not be able to answer specifics about the questions in your quiz because we do not have access to your school’s Canvas environment or your Canvas course(s) in question.  This is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if your instructor labeled the question manually with numbers and then later either re-ordered some of the questions or removed some questions that he/she initially intended to include in your quiz but then later removed.  Instructors can manually label questions with text, and so this *may* affect the question numbering that you see…but again, we cannot be 100% sure of that here in the Community because we cannot access your quiz.  The best route for you to take would be to address your question directly with your instructor to let him/her know of your concerns about the possibly missing questions.  Your instructor should be able to help you figure out what is going on.  You can use this Guide to contact your instructor:

How do I get help with Canvas as a student?

I hope this information will be of some help to you.  Good luck with your conversations.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi there, @KENNAN …

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people here in the Canvas Community would not be able to answer specifics about the questions in your quiz because we do not have access to your school’s Canvas environment or your Canvas course(s) in question.  This is purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if your instructor labeled the question manually with numbers and then later either re-ordered some of the questions or removed some questions that he/she initially intended to include in your quiz but then later removed.  Instructors can manually label questions with text, and so this *may* affect the question numbering that you see…but again, we cannot be 100% sure of that here in the Community because we cannot access your quiz.  The best route for you to take would be to address your question directly with your instructor to let him/her know of your concerns about the possibly missing questions.  Your instructor should be able to help you figure out what is going on.  You can use this Guide to contact your instructor:

I hope this information will be of some help to you.  Good luck with your conversations.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
KENNAN
Community Member

@chofer

I am certain that the issue has nothing to do with the instructor manually labelling the questions as I've confirmed that when looking at the sequence of questions at the right-hand side of the page which coincides with the headings above each question. And while I can bring up the issue with my instructors, I'm afraid the same thing can happen again in the future which makes it harder for me to get my instructors to consider my issue every time it occurs.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@KENNAN …

Thank you for the additional information.  I would still recommend that you reach out directly to your instructor to do more troubleshooting on this issue.  Since we cannot see your quiz here in the Community, it’s difficult to know exactly what might be going on with this particular quiz in your course.  Also, instructors can set various properties for each and every quiz in your course, so it’s quite possible that this is an isolated issue just for this particular quiz.  But again, without being able to see the actual quiz, it’s hard to know.

After you have had a conversation with your instructor, please come back here to provide an update so that we know how this was resolved for you.  Thanks much!

KENNAN
Community Member

@chofer ...

I contacted one instructor whose quiz had the issue and he confirmed that I did skip some questions. He wasn't sure what caused the issue but he gave some possible reasons like slow internet, a bug in my computer or canvas, or that the quiz was opened in two devices. I don't have any problems with my internet connection when using canvas for other things and I'm very certain that I didn't open the quiz in two devices. That leaves a bug in my computer or canvas itself. But as I mentioned, the issue happened in both my android phone and my windows laptop so it'd be weird if both my phone and laptop have the same bug. That's why I came to the conclusion that it might have something to do with canvas. The other instructor where I had the same issue wasn't much of help cause she straight up just ignored me. This really worries because in the future she would just ignore me again and I can't do anything about it. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again, @KENNAN …

For the instructor that you are having difficulties contacting…. I would suggest reaching out to your school’s Online Learning / eLearning department or even a school counselor … or someone who might know how to best contact your instructor.  That way, you can get things resolved on your end…if there is an issue with any of the quiz settings in that course.

Also, it may not hurt to reach out to Canvas Support.  They may be able to look at your course in more depth to see if anything is out-of-whack with the quiz or if there is truly something going on with Canvas.  You can contact Canvas Support by using the “Help” icon on the left-hand side global navigation menu.  Here are some more details about that:

I completely understand how frustrating this must be for you, and I agree that I wouldn’t want it continue in the future for any other quizzes I was taking, too.  Hopefully the additional guidance I’ve provided will give you some other options to try at your school to get this resolved.  Good luck to you!  Keep us posted.