cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swarfe
Community Member

Photo Upload in Discussions

Jump to solution

How would a student upload a photo in the discussion forum? I see that they can "embed" a photo, but that's not helpful. If I instruct students to go to the "Files" page, it brings up the course files. In order for them to then access their individual files, they need to select "All My Files." Upload the photo. Then return to the discussion board and embed it there. That's at least 5 "clicks" in order to simply upload a photo to a discussion forum, something that I'd think would be one of the simpler functions. Is there another way of doing it that I'm missing?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ccalderon
Community Champion

Hi Scott - sadly, the steps described above are correct...at least for now. The good news is that there is an Idea that has been posted for some time, currently in "Under Consideration" status:

Let's hope it makes it through soon!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ccalderon
Community Champion

Hi Scott - sadly, the steps described above are correct...at least for now. The good news is that there is an Idea that has been posted for some time, currently in "Under Consideration" status:

Let's hope it makes it through soon!

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@swarfe , I have taught many students and have conducted many training courses for experienced users, and I've found the process of uploading a photo to a discussion post as a student stymies nearly all of them. The Canvas Guide that explains this process (How do I embed an image in a Discussion reply as a student?) has improved considerably, so I recommend that you include a link to that guide in every discussion prompt that requires that a photo be embedded in a reply. I also include in my prompts the step-by-step process for students, and feel free to use it if you'd like (keep in mind these instructions reference the old UI):

How to negotiate the tricky process of uploading an image to a discussion post--as a student.

1. Click on your name at the upper right of the Canvas screen

2. Click on the Files tab in the left navigation

3. Click on the blue Upload button in the upper right corner of the screen

4. Browse through your computer files to select your photo(s) (.jpg or .png file types, for example)

5. Navigate back to this course, and then to this discussion

6. Click on Reply to start a new post

7. Click on the Embed Image icon

8. Click on the Canvas tab and then on My Files (or to the folder to which you uploaded your photo)

9. Find your photo and click on it; if you'd like, enter dimensions for the photo (or you can resize it later, after you click Update and before you save your post)

10. Click the blue Update button at the lower left

11. Done! (Did I say it was tricky? Yes, it is.)

swarfe
Community Member

Thanks, Stefanie! At this point, however, I think I'm going to settle for having them attach their photos, instead of embedding them.

-Scott

danielnichols
Community Member

Whose idea was it to move to Canvas when Moodle was working just fine? This is ridiculous.