Studio - Screen Recorder crashes when recording Screen and Webcam

CalebGarfinkel
Community Member

Hi all, I'm encountering a problem with screen recording both screen and webcam using Studio.

MacOS Big Sur 11.6 (not updating to Monterey until everything is supported)

I can open Screen Recorder from my browser inside Studio (Chrome and Firefox, current builds), record screen and save recordings to Studio. When I choose to record the webcam from inside the Screen Recorder app, or choose both Screen and Webcam, the app crashes every time.

I can record the webcam from using the Webcam Record only function from the Studio Record dropdown, but this doesn't give the ability to record both screen and webcam.

I've completely cleared and reinstalled the app, also tried to download the latest standalone app from Screencast-O-Matic directly, but the issue persists. I'm back to the link provided by Studio.

I've checked all permissions in MacOS system preferences, and screen recorder/microphone is allowed. I don't have the option in the Camera permissions to add Screen Recorder which may be the issue - I've checked, it's not in the list at all.

I can see this issue has popped up in the past (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Studio-Discussion/Studio-Screen-Capture-Bug-in-macOS-Catalina-10-...).

It feels like it's an issue with the app itself, but seeing as it's provided by Canvas I'm hoping there is an answer here. Anyone have a fix, or is this on anybody's radar?

Labels (1)
0 Likes