cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_mottura

Upload files to Canvas using Python

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying to write a Python script to upload a file to course files in Canvas using the API. I have followed the API tutorial (Uploading Files - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation). Unfortunately I get stuck on Step 2. I have looked through past questions, but could not find anything similar.

import requests

# Access token and API url
access_token = 'insert token here'
api_url = 'https://canvas.bham.ac.uk/api/v1/courses/22416/files'

# Set up a session
session = requests.Session()
session.headers = {'Authorization': 'Bearer %s' % access_token}

# Step 1 - tell Canvas you want to upload a file
payload = {}
payload['name'] = 'test.pdf'
r = session.post(api_url, data=payload)
r.raise_for_status()
r = r.json()
print ' '
print r # This successfully returns the expected response...

# Step 2 - upload file
payload = list(r['upload_params'].items()) # Note this is now a list of tuples
print ' '
print payload
with open('test.pdf', 'rb') as f:
     file_content = f.read()
payload.append((u'file', file_content)) # Append file at the end of list of tuples
r = session.post(r['upload_url'], data=payload)
r.raise_for_status() # This returns 400 Client Error: Bad Request
print ' '
print r

I probably want to say a few extra details about Step 2. On line 21, I convert the upload_params dictionary to a list of tuple because the file upload tutorial says the file should be added at the end of the upload_params...and dictionaries in Python are not ordered. I assume this is ok. The code stops on line 28, as line 27 returns a 400 Client Error. I have not written code for Step 3 as I cannot move past Step 2.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Alessandro

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_mottura

Hmmm...I think I was too tired to see it...! I was so worried about the structure of the payload in step 2 that I had not looked at the post command. I was posting in step 2 using the same session data as in step 1...which meant the second request returned the 400 Client Error...

Corrected Step 1 and Step 2 code (note change on line 28):

import requests

# Set up a session

payload = {}
payload['parent_folder_path'] = '/'
r.raise_for_status()
r = r.json()
print ' '

# Step 2 - upload file
print ' '
print payload
    file_content = f.read()
payload.append((u'file', file_content)) # Append file at the end of list of tuples
r = requests.post(r['upload_url'], files=payload)
r.raise_for_status()
r = r.json() # The requests now works and returns response 200 - not 301.
print ' '
print r‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ # This is a dictionary containing some info about the uploaded file

Also, I noticed that step 2 must be posted using multi-part form data...which means I should use 'files' istead of 'data', and I have added 'parent_folder_path' (line 14) to decide where the file goes in course files.

Now - the weird thing is that step 3 as described in the tutorial is not required. The script above just works...and I see the file appear in Canvas. Yay!

Cheers,

Alessandro

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @a_mottura ‌! I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'm going to share it with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=cb3e6585-7f3d-4ab7-9388-...‌ group in the Community to see if they can help. I'd also recommend joining this group so you have access to their information and resources!

Hope this helps!

a_mottura

Hmmm...I think I was too tired to see it...! I was so worried about the structure of the payload in step 2 that I had not looked at the post command. I was posting in step 2 using the same session data as in step 1...which meant the second request returned the 400 Client Error...

Corrected Step 1 and Step 2 code (note change on line 28):

import requests

# Set up a session

payload = {}
payload['parent_folder_path'] = '/'
r.raise_for_status()
r = r.json()
print ' '

# Step 2 - upload file
print ' '
print payload
    file_content = f.read()
r = requests.post(r['upload_url'], files=payload)
r.raise_for_status()
r = r.json() # The requests now works and returns response 200 - not 301.
print ' '
print r‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ # This is a dictionary containing some info about the uploaded file

Also, I noticed that step 2 must be posted using multi-part form data...which means I should use 'files' istead of 'data', and I have added 'parent_folder_path' (line 14) to decide where the file goes in course files.

Now - the weird thing is that step 3 as described in the tutorial is not required. The script above just works...and I see the file appear in Canvas. Yay!

Cheers,

Alessandro

pjztam

I'm having issues using this script when using the local filesystem to store files 

this is the error I'm getting

File uploads worked when we switched to using S3.

Just a heads up for anybody struggling with uploading files programmatically.

created_at         | 2018-01-14 23:20:36.665713
updated_at         | 2018-01-14 23:20:36.665713
email              | unknown-canvas-zucchini-services@instructure.example.com
during_tests       | f
user_agent         | python-requests/2.18.4
request_method     | post
http_env           |
subject            |
request_context_id | cd9aee89-b144-4335-ba4d-81fb6bf26902
account_id         | 1
zendesk_ticket_id  |
data               | ---                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              +
                   | type:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            +
                   | response_code: 500                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               +
                   | format: !ruby/object:Mime::Type                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  +
                   |   synonyms: []                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   +
                   |   symbol:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        +
                   |   string: "*/*"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  +
                   |   hash: 4108667749460886624                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      +
                   | HTTP_ACCEPT: "*/*"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               +
                   | HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING: gzip, deflate                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              +
                   | HTTP_HOST: canvas.zucchini.services                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              +
                   | HTTP_USER_AGENT: python-requests/2.18.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          +
                   | PATH_INFO: "/files_api"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          +
                   | QUERY_STRING: "?"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                +
                   | REQUEST_METHOD: POST                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             +
                   | REQUEST_URI: https://canvas.zucchini.services/files_api                                                          ... +
                   | SERVER_NAME: canvas.zucchini.services                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            +
                   | SERVER_PORT: '443'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               +
                   | SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        +
                   | REMOTE_ADDR: 128.61.93.176                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       +
                   | path_parameters: '{:controller=>"files", :action=>"api_create"}'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 +
                   | query_parameters: "{}"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           +
                   | request_parameters: '{"Filename"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b540                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        +
                   |   @tempfile=#<Tempfile:/tmp/RackMultipart20180114-27009-1s6tbso>, @original_filename="Filename",                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 +
                   |   @content_type=nil, @headers="Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"Filename\";                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                +
                   |   filename=\"Filename\"\r\n">, "key"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b4c8                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    +
                   |   @tempfile=#<Tempfile:/tmp/RackMultipart20180114-27009-ljvg2q>, @original_filename="key",                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       +
                   |   @content_type=nil, @headers="Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"key\"; filename=\"key\"\r\n">,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             +
                   |   "acl"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b450 @tempfile=#<Tempfile:/tmp/RackMultipart20180114-27009-48ften>,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  +
                   |   @original_filename="acl", @content_type=nil, @headers="Content-Disposition: form-data;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         +
                   |   name=\"acl\"; filename=\"acl\"\r\n">, "Policy"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b3d8                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        +
                   |   @tempfile=#<Tempfile:/tmp/RackMultipart20180114-27009-vsoctn>, @original_filename="Policy",                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    +
                   |   @content_type=nil, @headers="Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"Policy\"; filename=\"Policy\"\r\n">,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       +
                   |   "Signature"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b360 @tempfile=#<Tempfile:/tmp/RackMultipart20180114-27009-nk2xhe>,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            +
                   |   @original_filename="Signature", @content_type=nil, @headers="Content-Disposition:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              +
                   |   form-data; name=\"Signature\"; filename=\"Signature\"\r\n">, "content-type"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b2e8                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           +
                   |   @tempfile=#<Tempfile:/tmp/RackMultipart20180114-27009-zc4pl4>, @original_filename="content-type",                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              +
                   |   @content_type=nil, @headers="Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"content-type\";                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            +
                   |   filename=\"content-type\"\r\n">, "file"=>#<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b270                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               +
                   |   @tempfile=#<Tempfile:/tmp/RackMultipart20180114-27009-3whmx8>, @original_filename="file",                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      +
                   |   @content_type=nil, @headers="Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"file\"; filename=\"file\"\r\n">}'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          +
                   | exception_message: 'undefined method `unpack'' for #<ActionDispatch::Http::UploadedFile:0x00007ff415a3b360>'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     +
                   | hostname: ip-172-31-60-132                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       +
                   | pid: 27009                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       +
                   |
category           | NoMethodError
havy211

This example work for me. 

import requests
import json
import os
# --------- TEST URL ---------
url_submissions = 'https://canvas.harvard.edu/api/v1/courses/<number course>/assignments/<number assignments>/'
test_url = url_submissions + '/submissions/<number submissions>'
# --------- TEST URL ---------

post_api_url_step1 = test_url + '/comments/files'
step1 = requests.post(post_api_url_step1, data=json.dumps(
{
'name': <name file>, 'size': os.path.getsize(jupyter_notebook_file),
'content-type': 'binary/octet-stream', 'on_duplicate': 'overwrite'}),
headers={"authorization": "Bearer " + self.token})

step1.raise_for_status()
print("Step 1 Status Code: ", step1.status_code, "Post URL: ", post_api_url_step1)
print(step1.json())
print()

# Step 2 - Upload the file to the temporal url that canvas give you
post_api_url_step2 = step1.json()['upload_url']
step2 = requests.post(post_api_url_step2,
files={"file": open(jupyter_notebook_file, 'rb')})
step2.raise_for_status()
print("Step 2 Status Code: ", step2.status_code, "Post URL: ", post_api_url_step2)
print(step2.json())
print()

# Step 3 - Activate the file in canvas
get_api_url = step2.json()['location']
step3 = requests.get(get_api_url,
headers={"authorization": "Bearer " + self.token})
step3.raise_for_status()
print("Step 3 Status Code: ", step3.status_code, "Post URL: ", get_api_url)
print(step3.json())

# Step 4 - Make a comment and assign the file to a specific assignment with a grade
post_api_url_step4 = test_url
step4 = requests.put(post_api_url_step4,
data=json.dumps({
"comment": {"text_comment": "<comment>",
"file_ids": [step3.json()['id']]},
"submission": {"posted_grade": <grade>}}), headers={"Content-Type": "application/json",
"authorization": "Bearer " + self.token})
step4.raise_for_status()
print("Step 4 Status Code: ", step4.status_code, "Post URL: ", post_api_url_step4)
print(step4.json())
print()

# Step 5 - See the Submission Summary
post_api_url_step5 = url_submissions + '/submission_summary'
step5 = requests.get(post_api_url_step5, headers={"authorization": "Bearer " + self.token})
step5.raise_for_status()
print("Step 5 Status Code: ", step5.status_code, "Post URL: ", post_api_url_step5)
print(step5.json())
print()

# Mark submission as unread
post_api_url_step6 = post_api_url_step4 + '/read'
step6 = requests.delete(post_api_url_step6, headers={"authorization": "Bearer " + self.token})
step6.raise_for_status()
print("Step 6 Status Code: ", step6.status_code, "Post URL: ", post_api_url_step6)
print(step6.status_code)
print()

Esto les puede ayudar, lo solucioné de esta manera

import requests
import json

url = "https://<canvas>/api/v1/users/self/files?name=nombre_archivo.png&size=tamaño_de_archivo_en_bytes&parent_folder_path=Nombre_de_carpeta"

payload={}
headers = {
'Authorization': '<token>',
}
# Le decimos a canvas que vamos a subir un archivo
response = requests.request("POST", url, headers=headers, data=payload)

# Verificar, si se ejecutó el llamado emitirá un código 200
print(response.status_code)
print("")

data_json = json.loads(response.text)
# token para subir el archivo
upload_url = data_json['upload_url']
upload_params = data_json['upload_params']

# Parte importante, aquí debes actualizar los parámetros obtenidos y agregar "None" a cada parámetro,

for item in upload_params:
upload_params[item] = (None, upload_params[item])

# agregamos el parámetro "file"
upload_params['file'] = '/path/nombre_archivo.png', open('/path/nombre_archivo.png', 'rb')

# Una vez actualizados los parámetros y agregado el "file", manda a imprimir y vas a obtener algo así
# {'filename': (None, 'prueba.png'), 'content_type': (None, 'image/png'), 'file': ('/path/nombre_archivo.png', <_io.BufferedReader name='/path/nombre_archivo.png'>)}
print(upload_params)

# Finalmente, hacemos el llamado con el nuevo token generado y con los parámetros actualizados
resp = requests.post(upload_url, files=upload_params)
print(resp.status_code)

# Listo!!!, puedes ir a Canvas y el archivo estará subido