Visibility

Jump to solution
BaileyHicks
Community Member

I created a new account and the course I am working on will not allow me to change the visibility to public. It says "If you need to make your course public please contact your administrator/support." I am the only person associated with this course and I should have an instructor role so assume I should be the administrator but can't figure out how to tell. Does anyone have tips for this?  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @BaileyHicks,

If you're using the free-for-teacher version of Canvas, it does appear that the visibility settings are locked down so that you have to specifically invite people to your course (the public/institution options are not available).  Although I can't find any documentation around this, I would guess it's an intentional setting to ensure Canvas is being used more for its primary purpose as a learning management system than becoming what some people could see as a free way to build a website or something along those lines.  I don't really think there will be a way around this other than using a different Canvas instance that would offer you more control (but that will likely come at a cost).  Are you able to tell us why you'd like to use the public option, as perhaps someone could offer an alternative.

-Chris

View solution in original post