Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abbyrosenthal3

Why are my jpeg images disappearing?!!!

Jump to solution

I am writing a test and saved images in my course files as jpegs (yes, I published the file). Now, some of my jpeg images show up some don't. I have re-saved the jpegs and made sure that they were in the course files correctly and still they are not showing up. What am I doing wrong?

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @abbyrosenthal3 ...

Out of curiosity, have you tried using *.jpg files instead of *.jpeg (not that it should really matter)?  What about saving them as a different file format like *.png or *.gif?  Over the weekend I noticed that there was a broken image in a Global Announcement I had published to our Dashboard earlier in the week.  The *.jpg image was working just fine earlier in the week, but yesterday the image was broken.  Today, it is appearing like it should.  I wonder if something happened yesterday with the updates that were pushed out to Canvas?  Not saying that it's the same issue on your end...but maybe worth checking out with the Canvas Help Desk folks?  Hope this helps...

View solution in original post

Thanks very much for that Kimberly. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Another colleague had it happen to her as well.

Cheers

View solution in original post

31 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @abbyrosenthal3 ...

Out of curiosity, have you tried using *.jpg files instead of *.jpeg (not that it should really matter)?  What about saving them as a different file format like *.png or *.gif?  Over the weekend I noticed that there was a broken image in a Global Announcement I had published to our Dashboard earlier in the week.  The *.jpg image was working just fine earlier in the week, but yesterday the image was broken.  Today, it is appearing like it should.  I wonder if something happened yesterday with the updates that were pushed out to Canvas?  Not saying that it's the same issue on your end...but maybe worth checking out with the Canvas Help Desk folks?  Hope this helps...

clwinn

I am also having this issue. Changing the file format to png has not helped. Not sure what's going on...

It didn’t help to chang it to PNG either.. what finally helped was to switch browsers to Safari…instead of Chrome

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@abbyrosenthal3  and clwinn...

It looks like this is being reported by other Canvas users, too (example: (very) odd embedded image behavior and Images embedded in Pages disappear/reappear at random?).  As  @kmeeusen ‌ has suggested in those posts, it would probably be best to contact the folks at the Canvas Help Desk to report the issue so they can get it logged.  I also experienced this issue today when building a course for one of our instructors.

Hi I have had the issue too particularly in Chrome. I was instructed by Canvas Help to clear browsing data and that seemed to fix it at the time but it has reoccurred.

Good news! After further correspondence with L1 Operations Canvas Support, I just received the following email: 

"Thank you for clarifying that you've attempted the browser steps. After further investigating, I was able to recreate the same behavior. Unfortunately I haven't found a root cause yet, so I've notified our engineers of this situation and they've created a work ticket to narrow down this issue. I've attached this message to the engineers work ticket. That way, once there's a resolution, you'll be notified through email." So perhaps this will be resolved soon. Yay!

Thanks very much for that Kimberly. Hopefully it will be resolved soon. Another colleague had it happen to her as well.

Cheers

kimberly_smith1
Community Member

Here is an update...

My experience has been that clearing the browser cache only works for a short time. Others have reported the same  

I emailed Canvas to check on the status of my ticket about this issue. Here is the 12/17/17 response:

Thank you for checking in. Our engineers are still working on this case. We do not have additional updates at this time. This ticket is still on our radar. You will be notified once we have more information.

I apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Thank you,
Canvas Support
support@instructure.com

ref:_00DA0Ibsk._500A0ZCw5V:ref

I would ask that anyone who is also experiencing this problem to PLEASE submit an official Support Request to Canvas (and maybe also reference the number above?). With so many instructors likely 'on break' right now, I worry that some may not discover the problem until much closer to semester start time (so are not reporting it). My hope is that more official requests now may = more techs working on it, and may head off potential panic later. If this remains unresolved at the start of the new semester, it will be a real problem for anyone who (like me) uses embedded images with hyperlinks for course navigation and/or embeds images in quizzes. 

Leigh Ann has provided her case #02675969, and a copy of the support request response at https://community.canvaslms.com/message/91107-re-broken-images-after-uploading?commentID=91107&et=wa... Thank you Leigh Anne! Smiley Happy 

See also "Images not Posting on Canvas Quizzes" (submitted by Jayson Rigsby on 12/16/17)

https://community.canvaslms.com/message/91081-re-images-not-posting-on-canvas-quizzes?commentID=9108... 

Thanks for the update Kimberly.