Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julie_magadan
Community Member

Your ideas of Canvas' best kept secrets

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am curious if you would please share your ideas for Canvas' best kept secrets. If you have a workshop coming up for faculty and you want them to say, "Wow, I didn't know you could do that," what would you share with them?  We are past the basics (e.g. embedding audio/video with the media comment tool).

Thanks in advance.

Julie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
c_swartz

I found a few things I really like.

First, the course names the system uses are long.  I can Nickname my courses and see only the short, recognizable version. 

Second, online chat with tech support is a killer.  Those folks know their stuff.

Finally, the flexibility of Pages is great.

View solution in original post

140 Replies
snugent
Community Champion

This post about undelete things is  always helpful

Undeleting things in Canvas

@tdelillo ​ presented at InstructureCon2014 about this very subject. Her talk had some great tips.

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@julie_magadan ​, the question I'm probably asked most often is how to create Matching quizzes with images​.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Message students who - from the gradebook! So many faculty forget that exists and it's such an awesome and easy way to quickly message students who did awesome on an exam, did not so awesome, haven't submitted something, etc. I use it a lot and am always surprised by the faculty who don't realize it exists! Smiley Happy

ccalderon
Community Champion

Hi Julie! Something I show instructor often that surprises them - the "Move To..." option in Modules (as opposed to clicking and dragging):

162813_Move.gif

Such a small thing, but such a big timesaver!

brueckert
Community Champion

Based on the responses I get when I describe the feature, many of our faculty don't realize they can create question banks along with quizzes that pull a random number of questions from said banks. This always comes up when I talk about formative assessment strategies.

This thread could be interesting - almost like a bulleted list of training session ideas. Thank you to everyone who responds!  🙂

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@julie_magadan ​, I just thought of a few more:

(1) Using rubrics for assignment grading: You'd think that once you create a rubric and attach it to an assignment, it would populate the grade field in the SpeedGrader--right? Wrong! After you create your rubric and attach it to its assignment(s), you still have to edit the rubric to enable the checkbox "Use this rubric for assignment grading." See: How do I use a Rubric to grade an Assignment?

(2) Editing rubrics: In the same vein, when someone tries to edit a rubric that is already attached to more than one assignment, a scary warning message pops up. After you think a bit about what you're doing, you can generally ignore it and carry on. Smiley Wink

(3) SpeedGrader settings: Many teachers don't realize how powerful the Settings link in the SpeedGrader is. I use it to make sure that only assignments that need grading bubble up to the top so I can go through submissions in order without having to navigate through students who haven't yet submitted. See: How do I sort Assignments in SpeedGrader?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I would say using some of the elements in the StyleGuide.  In your instance of Canvas, if you go to:

http://[InstititutionName].instructure.com/styleguide

...there are some elements there that you can use when designing your course(s) that will give your pages some nice elements...such as accordions, alerts, borders, tabs, etc.  You'll probably need to have a bit of experience with HTML, but some of the code isn't too terrible to figure out.  For example, over in the Instructional Designers group here in the Canvas Community,  @jperkins ​ created an awesome blog entry called Using jQuery without Custom Javascript.  Another one that I've bookmarked is Tabs started by  @brad_hinson . I've certainly learned a lot more just by participating in those threads, and I've even created a resource in our instance of Canvas for our instructors called "Canvas Labs" which gives instruction on how they can use code snippets I've grabbed from the StyleGuide, modify them slightly, and use them in their own course(s).

julie_magadan
Community Member

Thank you to everyone who has responded!  stefaniesanders, snugent,  @chofer ​  @brueckert ​  @ccalderon ​  @kona  these are all great tips.

With much appreciation,

Julie

c_swartz

I found a few things I really like.

First, the course names the system uses are long.  I can Nickname my courses and see only the short, recognizable version. 

Second, online chat with tech support is a killer.  Those folks know their stuff.

Finally, the flexibility of Pages is great.