feature request: ability to rearrange/re-order rubric criteria when editing rubrics

Jump to solution
newby024
Community Explorer

I find that when I create or edit a rubric, I often want to rearrange the order of my listed criteria. For example, late in the process, I will remember a criterion that I want located at the beginning of the rubric. As far as I know, I do not have the ability to place a new criterion at the beginning of the rubric. I only have the option to add it to the end and it is then out of the flow of context.  (or, I can start a whole new rubric and do a serious amount of copying and pasting. please, no!)

It would be amazing if criteria and their associated row of scores were "draggable", similar to how module order can be rearranged by dragging.

Anyone else experience this/have a good workaround or solution? If this is a feature that already exists, I'd love to know how!

thanks,
Alex

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@newby024 ...

So I have some pretty good news for you, I think.  Before I give you the good news, though, I wanted to let you know there is a separate area to make requests for new ideas...rather than posting it here in the area to ask questions.  You can read more about how to create new ideas by looking at the Guides under the section "Ideas and Themes" located at: Instructure Community Guide - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com).

Now to the good news.  There really isn't a reason to submit your idea as a new idea.  I'm not sure how much you visit the Canvas Community site, but recently, a blog was written called Embarking on a Journey of Transformation: Upcoming... - Instructure Community - 587925 (canvaslms.co....  As you can see under Phase 1, re-ordering of rubric criteria rows is in the works.  Read further down the blog for the anticipated date of Phase 1...of April 2024.

I don't know if your school has purchased the add-on product from Cidi Labs called DesignPLUS, but one of the features of DesignPLUS is to also re-arrange rubric rows.  They have a pretty nice solution, but it will be interesting to see what Instructure releases in the coming months and how it compares to what Cidi Labs has designed.

Finally, if you need something right now, then you can use a "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) that @James Jones created.  Here is his write-up: Sorting Rubrics Made Easy - Instructure Community - 272179 (canvaslms.com).  I used many times when I had long rubrics that I was creating for instructors and I would forget to add a row.  It was painful to have to remove so many rows, add the new row, and then re-add all the other rows.  James' process resolves this nicely.

I hope all of this will be helpful to you.  Sing out if you have any questions.

View solution in original post