how to add thresholds for assignment groups when a course has weighted assignments

Jump to solution
TracyMiddleton
Community Member

If we have a course with 2 components (ie. a lab component and a lecture component), and we have the two components weighted as 80% of the grade and 20% of the grade, is there a way to also set a threshold for each component in order to pass the course? (ie. you must receive at least 70% in each section to pass the course)

So, the overall course grade would be: 

Component 1 = 80%

Component 2 = 20%

**must pass both components at a minimum of 70% to pass the course. 

Can someone assist with how to create the additional threshold piece of this scenario in Canvas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @TracyMiddleton,

As far as I know, Canvas doesn't have functionality like this right now.  It can certainly add up the individual components and weigh them appropriately for the overall score, but a minimum threshold for assignment groups doesn't exist.  This could always change in the future though.  if you'd like Instructure to consider developing a feature like this, you could post in the Ideas area (it wouldn't surprise me if a similar idea has already been suggested, but I could not find anything when I searched).

-Chris

View solution in original post

0 Likes