Getting Started with Canvas as a Student [Videos]

nathanatkinson
Community Team
Community Team

Starting your first online course using Canvas? Get up and running in under 30 minutes with these overview videos. Learn how to use Canvas, set your notification preferences, use the Canvas Student app, navigate the dashboard, and access and submit assignments.

PLAYLIST

Learn the basics of Canvas in under a minute with our Canvas Short Videos.

125 Comments
Community Novice

I'm having issues accessing my classes since I can't see anything on Canvas. Are you able to email me with help on this?

RobertSpiser
Community Novice

I was told i need to hit the advisory course tile, but i can not find it. Can anyone tell me where it is?

Chelefulton
Community Novice

My sons teachers are sending links for meetings using Microsoft. I do not have Microsoft set up on my desktop computer or my Android phone. What do I need to do to access these meetings?

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

@4723646892 it's difficult to know exactly why you can't see anything in Canvas without more detail. Are you able to log in and see your Dashboard? If you can't access courses on the dashboard, try clicking the Courses link and then click All Courses. If you still can't see anything, please contact our Canvas Support team (https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-get-help-with-Canvas-as-a-student/ta-p/498)

Thanks,

- Nathan

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

@RobertSpiser you may need to view all of your courses to see that particular course. Instructions on how to do that are here: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Instructor-Guide/How-do-I-view-all-my-Canvas-courses-as-an-instru...

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

- Nathan

CanvasDocTeam
Community Team
Community Team

@Chelefulton the meetings are probably for Microsoft Teams. You can learn more about Teams here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/group-chat-software

Thanks,

- Nathan

Community Novice

yeahhhhh

Benjamin_Bishop
Community Member

A good introduction to Canvas for a new user.

akohler871
Community Novice

I have logged into canvas both n the webpage and on the app and none of my classes have shown up even though my teachers have said t they have posted assignments. yes i have tried to ass courses but no courses pop up to be selected  

Bobby2
Community Champion

HI there @akohler871 

I'm wondering about the possibility that your course is hidden. Try clicking 'Courses' in the left hand global navigation menu. Then select 'All Courses'. 

A list of all courses you are enrolled in will appear there. If you colour in the star to the left of the title of the courses you want to appear on the Dashboard that might remedy your situation. 

Sing out if you need a hand. 

Community Novice

There is no classes on Canvas for OMS 7th grade. 

bs960
Community Member

I registered on Friday.  How long does it take for the class to show on Canvas?  My class starts on Wednesday. 

maryeflannigan
Community Member

Hi, I am a new grad student, first time user of Canvas. Under my Dashboard > Courses it says "You are not enrolled in any courses" but under that it says Future enrollments and lists my class that starts next week. My professor had sent an email saying it would be available starting 9/1. Am I just too early and need to wait for it to become a "current class" or is there something else I need to do to view it? Thanks for your help!

MyahH
Community Novice

This helped me work canvas because its new and I didn't know how to work it.

mtmerriex
Community Novice

I got it now

adam14
Community Novice

I feel that getting used to a new website will be most difficult for me.

Community Novice

Able to connect with other teachers, all except homeroom teacher, how do I contact and connect with her online/

ddumorney
Community Novice

Good morning, my name is Dumorney Dumezan, I am taking a zoom class for four weeks. Since I started taking the class, I see everyone on cameras and I hear them but when I talk, they cannot hear me. Can you please help me solving that problem? Or another word, you can email me the details to solve that problem. My email address is: ddumorney@yahoo.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance,

Dumorney Dumezan

cmulvihill
Community Member

my teacher told me her slides are posted on Canvas, but I can't find them. Can you help me?

My email is cm562@yahoo.com

rly_gigi2
Community Novice

yes

Sabrina_Green49
Community Member

I'm so confused with this setup process of videos.

CN235395
Community Member

IJYJGDWIN_20201001_11_52_03_Pro.jpg

smartin519
Community Member

i like your profile!

jo28
Community Novice

this is a beutiful video good job 🙂

tenaciousiam
Community Member

This is awesome there are some really good knowledgeable tutorials to learn how to use Canvas.

It definitely will save time if you cant figure out how to use something.

thank you,

😊

mittree
Community Novice

when are spring 2021 classes accessible in canvas? mine still shows as future

Ediadema
Community Novice

Seria legal se os vídeos fossem em português.
Ou que ao menos tivessem legendas em português.
Fica a dica.

mariareyna
Community Member

ENTRO VEO TODOS LOS TABLEROS PERO NO PUEDO ACCEDER A CONFERENCIA PORQUE ???

RyanDiBraccio
Community Novice

I dislike canvas because teacher have so much control over you and the grading is wrong

KhamlaChanthaba
Community Member

This video its show you how to use Canvas and its have everything for you on the Canvas for your course assignments and once you log onto the Canvas its will take you to the dashboard and the dashboard shows you, your courses and how to summit your assignment. This Canvas makes easy for us user. 

DGBRUCE01
Community Member

Great video!!  Thanks

JADICABROWN
Community Novice

hi guys im jadica and like this its cool

Community Member

your are Asome thack you😇😇😇

DentrellSpencer
Community Novice

What is on the Canvas Dashboard? 

The Dashboard page of Canvas displays information about all of your current courses. The Dashboard also has announcement of activity for all of your current courses. This also contains a to do list , upcoming assignments , and access to grades.

2) Where are you likely to see the latest announcements for a course?  Under the side bar: click recent activity.

3) How can you contact your instructor for the course within Canvas? The inbox link on side of canvas page. 

XianmeiCao
Community Novice

👍

BrownsTowns216
Community Member

Trying to watch Canvas overview videos within VPW Orientation and they are not available. Have already emailed my Geometry summer school teacher (Mrs. Houser).

DanaCota
Community Novice

Hi. I am trying to post to my classroom without having to use "Reply" to someone else's post to do so. I have viewed the tutorial and looked every place I could think of, but cannot locate the button/command to post. Can anyone help?

EmmaMegan
Community Member

Amazing information about Canvas learning video classes. I already use this software. this is a very good software to design any image and video and many more.

jaquila
Community Explorer

😍😍 😍🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

SilviaRamon
Community Member

Hello,I would like  you to tell me how to upload a video ?on a group conversation please

jaquila
Community Explorer

i dont now i just find this app 5 days ago

JazminOrozco
Community Novice

hello I'm having trouble with discussions it doesn't appear in my class portal 

Olisaemeka1963
Community Novice

Folks good  day,  it only  today,  this  afternoon was able  to communicate  with  someone  since  September I joined this institution, too bad, I have  mixed  a lot. 

Arthur. 0. E.

TravisGallia
Community Novice

who made canvas 

CarolynWhite
Community Member

Thank you for this well organized short video to explain the naivgation options through Canvas.

ShannonLeathers
Community Member

Thank you for this information to help me through my classes here on Canvas. It looks very intimidating and challenging but after you watch the video it explains step by step making it understandable and easier to navigate the page.

Thanks again

Michael

RebeccaPena
Community Member

Thank you

MikeDiaz
Community Member

So extremely helpful in my journey learning how to Navigate Canvas. I am so grateful.

RoseHall
Community Member

ummmmmmm.. it wont load the vid. it said to contact the site owner to fix this issue. -_-

AdlerCelice
Community Member

That was great!