CD2 Schema API Anomalies

MikeRichards
Community Participant

We have recently had a few of our tables fail to import the incremental data with our nightly job. When we were looking into the issue it seems to be related to the schema API endpoint which is no longer accurate for a handful of tables. 

As part of our workflow we apply the schema from the API to the downloaded incremental or snapshot data in a dataframe before performing an Upsert into our tables. We adjusted our job to use some schema evolution options which took care of the failures, but I wanted to point out this finding in case anyone else has CD2 workflows that are having issues with this anomaly.

I checked the JSON coming off of the schema API, the web version (https://api-gateway.instructure.com/doc/) and the data files themselves (only for quiz_questions). Only the schema API endpoint is inconsistent. The interesting one we found is context_module_progressions as the missing column is labeled "required" in the web schema, but is not on the required list in the API, nor is present among the other fields in the API. One observation we made is that for all of the tables where we found a mismatch it was always the last column.

I attached some screenshots to show the issue. I did a pretty print of the API schema for readability.

0 Likes