Getting Started: Canvas Data Services Overview
- Supported Environments
- Administrative Setup
- Confirm Permissions
- Install Data Services
- View and Manage Data Streams
- Access Payload Documentation
- Reserved Mode
Canvas Data Services information is hosted in the Canvas Data Services portal in Account Settings. This document provides an overview of the various components for getting started.
Canvas Data Services is supported in both the production and beta environments. Use of the beta environment is strongly encouraged for testing.
- You can access your beta environment by adding beta to your Canvas URL: your-institution.beta.instructure.com.
- If your institution uses a custom domain name, please check with your Customer Success Manager for the correct URL of your beta environment.
Canvas Data Services is hosted within Canvas; details about beta can be found in What is the Canvas beta environment? However, please be advised that unlike the rest of Canvas within the beta environment, the Canvas Data Portal does not receive any data directly from the production environment, nor is it refreshed.
You can follow these setup instructions in both the production and beta environments.
Data Services can be managed by any user with the Data Services - Manage permission. To learn how to manage permissions, see How do I set permissions for an account-level role?
Install Data Services
As an admin, you can install Canvas Data Services in your account. Enabling Canvas Data Services creates a link in your Account Navigation, where you can view and manage Canvas Data streams. Please see How do I install Canvas Data Services in my account?
View and Manage Data Streams
You can set up and manage data streams for your account.
- If you want to use Amazon Web Services' Simple Queue Service URL to receive data streams, please see How do I subscribe to Live Events using Canvas Data Services?
- You can also use an HTTPS-based service; for additional details, please see System and User Event Filtering Capabilities
Note: Canvas Data streams may include personal information for Canvas users. You should only stream data to trusted services and endpoints.
Access Payload Documentation
Data Stream payload information is located directly in the Data Services Portal, Documentation tab. See How do I use the Data Services Portal?
An account enters Reserved Mode when the Canvas Data Portal has not been accessed or a download has not been requested for at least 14 days. For more information, see Canvas Data Reserved Mode.
For additional questions about Canvas Data and Live Events, see Canvas Data FAQ