Participant password Free-For-teacher

Jump to solution
AndreasHaraldst
Community Member

Hi

I have recently been added to a course as a designer. I did not create the course, but I have been given the task of managing the accounts etc. One of the participants have tried to log in, but can no longer access the course. 

This is the student's email:

I tried to login again today using the link provided in the email you sent me
upon registration. This time instead of presenting me the course directly like
in the first time the system provided me the login to Canvas.
When I tried to recover a password it sent me the message below telling me 
to contact you.

This is the message they got: 

You requested a confirmation of your password for logging into Canvas.

This address is associated with the login, ["Long number"]. (I have removed their number)

The password for this login should have been given to you by the system administrators at Free for Teacher, and Instructure doesn't have access to your password. If your password is not working, please contact the system administrators about changing or verifying your password.

What should I do in this instance? i have no idea how to change or verify their password. That option does not appear to me when I look at the profiles of the participants.

0 Likes
1 Solution
NoahBoswell1
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi, @AndreasHaraldst !

Unfortunately, with the free for teacher edition of canvas, you do not have access to change student account passwords. This is an admin feature which is only provided to paid canvas accounts. From what you're saying above, the user cannot log in at all, correct? 

I'm honestly unsure of why you were messaged to reset the password, especially because you're using the free edition of canvas. It would make sense if you had a paid canvas instance, but for this circumstance. When they mean system administrator, they mean an official instructure employee. From my experience with canvas, I have never received or know anyone that received an email like that. The email you should've received would've been a link to reset the password under the email associated with the account.

There are two things you can do. One, is go back to the login page and click the forgot password button and have the student enter their email associated with their account. From there, a reset password link should be sent to their inbox. You can also reach out to canvas support for more assistance.

Below is a link with more information!

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Student-Guide/How-do-I-reset-my-password-as-a-student/ta-p/409 

I hope this helps you get started, please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Noah

View solution in original post

0 Likes