Tips for Using Canvas During a School Closure

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This write up is based on a webinar I provided to my institution today.  I am sharing it with the Canvas Community for anyone who would find it useful.  My target audience is traditional faculty who are transitioning from brick classrooms to online classes.  

Abstract

As we engage in campus closures, this webinar will provide tips and resources to help faculty transition their classrooms to online courses. Learn how to leverage Canvas to create a learning space that is engaging and socially interactive for your students.

Description

Has your campus closed or is it preparing to closure? Many of our faculty are very proficient and comfortable teach in a traditional classroom, but may be wary transitioning to a fully online classroom. Fortunately, Canvas incorporates a lot of functionality designed to enable effective teaching and learning outside of our traditional learning environments. This webinar will examine the essential tools and functions of Canvas used in online learning. We will explore strategies to increase student interaction and collaboration, as well as highlight common pitfalls encountered in online education. We will also allocate time for participants to ask questions or discuss concerns.

Learning Objectives:

1. Explore the basic functionality of Canvas
  2. Design lessons that ensure visible teacher presence
  3. Assess options that facilitate student engagement and meaningful interactions
  4. Discuss concerns and solicit feedback from participants

Presenter Bio: Sean Nufer is the Director of Instructional Technology for TCS Education System.